Honored Contributor

Re: Home Improvement People & Commissions

@Mominohio wrote:

What throws me is that we often take bids on a job (last one was really noticeable) and the range of price is very dramatic.

We had 40 trees that needed to come down. We took about 8 bids, and the price ranged from $2000 to $10,000!

We chose a company somewhere in the middle based on cost, and they manner in which they were going to approach the job. But when wanting to see their proof in liability insurance and worker's comp coverage, never heard from them again.

There will always be 'fly by nights', high end contractors, and in between, but such significant price ranges for the same jobs (with the same materials) always frustrates me.

Oh, and we decided to take down as many trees as possible on our own. We've done more than half, it has taken two years, we still have a couple more we can do on our own, then we will get bids again for what is left that we know is beyond our ability. 

MominOhio

We have a maple tree in our backyard that has branches that cross the property line. Our next door neighbor complains often about the branches. So every two years we have the tree trimmed. It has always cost at least $1,800 - $2,000 each time. I like your quotes.

Unfortunatly, the tree started to decline after the last trim. I think the tree will have to be cut down the tree next time. Which is what the neighbor has wanted all along.

Honored Contributor

I use the Home Advisor website to find people to do work for me. The prices from people they find for you are competitive and this makes it easy to decide which one I choose. Reviews are posted right on the website along with other valuable information about each pro or contractor.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

What throws me is that we often take bids on a job (last one was really noticeable) and the range of price is very dramatic.

We had 40 trees that needed to come down. We took about 8 bids, and the price ranged from $2000 to $10,000!

We chose a company somewhere in the middle based on cost, and they manner in which they were going to approach the job. But when wanting to see their proof in liability insurance and worker's comp coverage, never heard from them again.

There will always be 'fly by nights', high end contractors, and in between, but such significant price ranges for the same jobs (with the same materials) always frustrates me.

Oh, and we decided to take down as many trees as possible on our own. We've done more than half, it has taken two years, we still have a couple more we can do on our own, then we will get bids again for what is left that we know is beyond our ability. 

MominOhio

We have a maple tree in our backyard that has branches that cross the property line. Our next door neighbor complains often about the branches. So every two years we have the tree trimmed. It has always cost at least $1,800 - $2,000 each time. I like your quotes.

Unfortunatly, the tree started to decline after the last trim. I think the tree will have to be cut down the tree next time. Which is what the neighbor has wanted all along.

I know when you have a big tree in a yard, that is surrounding buildings, or power lines, the cost to get them removed/trimmed is so high.

These trees were in a line along the road (country road with little traffic, and easy access along the road for their trucks) no power lines, no buildings close. And they were simply going to lay them down, and we were going to cut them up and dispose of them. Most said that work could be done in one day. 

The $5000 range seemed reasonable for what they were doing (not limbing, grinding or removing anything they take down), but that $10,000 quote really got my attention (and not in a good way!!).

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use the Home Advisor website to find people to do work for me. The prices from people they find for you are competitive and this makes it easy to decide which one I choose. Reviews are posted right on the website along with other valuable information about each pro or contractor.

I looked at home advisor, and in addition to being a little uncomfortable with all the info they want up front, the results were companies not in my area (but said they do work in the area) and none of the bigger companies that I know are legit. I got estimates on my own from 8 companies, and Home Advisor only gave me three choices, none of which I'd ever heard of (means they are very small companies).

Wasn't impressed with that avenue. I did better finding companies on my own, definitely more than they provided.

Respected Contributor

I guess it's not just me finding it a challenge to get reliable professional services at a fair price...from tree trimming to trying to get the irrigation system fixed to getting a garage remodel to plumbing problems etc etc..... and a lot of the time they don't even show up. I've gone through home advisors also, but for an example, I had some iron fence ordered, and today for the second time, they showed up to install it ( I waited almost a month beyond the installation date they gave me) and it was several inches shorter than what I ordered and is on my contract. This is custom made iron fencing. I made them take it back and start over.  ):

Honored Contributor

Always get a bid itemized and in writing.   And see if it's negotiable, do your own homework.

The best way to find someone for a relatively small job is word of  mouth.

If you see a fence in your neighborhood and want one like it, ask the homeowner.

My neighbor got a new roof on his house several years ago, we loved it and when it came time to re-roof my house, we got the name & number of the roofer from the neighbor.

I live in an old neighborhood, someone is always doing some kind of work, mostly tree trimming/cutting, replacing a roof, or fencing.

For the most part, I can't find anyone to do anything less than $1000.   No matter how small the job, it's always $1000.    

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I looked at home advisor, and in addition to being a little uncomfortable with all the info they want up front, the results were companies not in my area (but said they do work in the area) and none of the bigger companies that I know are legit. I got estimates on my own from 8 companies, and Home Advisor only gave me three choices, none of which I'd ever heard of (means they are very small companies).

Wasn't impressed with that avenue. I did better finding companies on my own, definitely more than they provided.

The last time I used Home Advisor I got 3 hits for a job I needed done. But when I looked further down on the page they showed "additional" ones which listed about a dozen more. So I'm not quite sure how they only gave me those three at the top of the page. I ended up not even calling the three they recommended. Another thing I like about this site is that they list many small, local businesses with their customer ratings.  @Mominohio

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

======================================

I just went thru this with my neighbor, which is Y my fence has to be replaced.  My neighbor just won't maintain his trees.  His trees become diseased, die and fall in my yard, and then he expects MY insurance to cover the damage each time because that's the law.

The 2nd tree fell 5 months ago and I refused to pay.  I had to get a lawyer.  We are no longer friends.  IF you want to stay on good terms with your neighbors, best to maintain your trees, otherwise, things can get real ugly.

BTW, when one of the contractors was measuring for my fence, we noticed a 3rd tree had fallen in the other neighbors yard.  The tree had crushed their fence.  The house has been vacant for almost a year, but it appears, someone recently bought it.

Obviously, he's left the dead tree on their property because he anticipates they will pay for it's removal.   

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Oh geez!  The old man just called me.  I told him I was "switching gears" and putting the fence on hold.  The poor man then said, "well, I need your business".

I almost said, "well you need to lower your estimate", but I didn't.

I'm just tired of the whole process.  These home improvement people wear me out.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."