Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

Geez, what a timely post!  I have been shopping for three days looking at vinyl planks for my kitchen!   I'm hearing conflicting opinions from all the different stores with regards to the floating and glue down versions.  Some stores say the floating versions have gaps and make noises when you walk on them so stay with the glue down type.  Other stores say the opposite!  Who do I believe?!  Can anyone offer up what type you have and any drawbacks?

Right now, I'm also leaning towards the Coretec brand or Armstrong.  I keep looking at the samples I brought home.  It's so hard to pick because each looks different in different lighting.  

We are getting coretec. I will ask if ours will be glued down or floating.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Home Depot vinyl planks

[ Edited ]

@cddh Hope you don't mind that I piggybacked on your post!  Just dawned on me that it was a little rude!  Sorry!  Keep us posted on what you end up getting.  I'm curious!  

~LdyBugz

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18  Good to know your friend went with the glue; that helped!  

Thx!

~LdyBugz

Trusted Contributor

@ccassaday  Thanks!  It will interesting and helpful.  

~LdyBugz

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

@LdyBugz Not all the LVT planks can be glued down and not all can float. I have the floating in my room addition. They do not squeak and they do not separate. Walking on them is no different than walking on laminate. The type of sub flooring you have will also determine whether you have floating or glue down. 

Esteemed Contributor
I asked my mom about the planks for our new house. She said she wasn't sure if it was glued or floating.
Trusted Contributor

@ccassaday  O.K., thx for trying.

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday, just wanted to let you know..our new CoreTec floor is floating, not glued down. 

I guess it depends on how solid your subfloor is regarding movement when stepping on your flooring.  Our subfloors are a little squeeky and bouncy, but not bad. 

We are planning to have some additional support work done underneath the floor in the near future, which should help with any movement.

Seeing  you're building new, it should be okay with the floating floor.  I'm sure you'll love it like I do mine. 

Also just wanted to say, I'm glad you're doing well and are looking forward to the future with your new home. Good luck in all your decorating!

Contributor

Have done some research on vinyl plank flooring and have a friend who installed in her kitchen and loved it. I also had the same experience of some flooring stores recommending glued and some recommending the snap/click planks.  I am really considering purchasing from an online builder supply store and having local handyman install.  Was very disappointed by the purchase/quote experience from Home Depot.