Super Contributor

I posted about bamboo flooring but recently have seen commercials from Home Depot regarding their vinyl planks.  I am wondering if this is a better choice.  I hear there are some downsides to the bamboo that may not work for me.  Interested in reviews re the vinyl planks.

Valued Contributor

We just recently ( in march) had new 5 inch vinyl planks (CoreTec Plus) put throughout our kitchen, living, hallway and three closets.  It is waterproof and has a lifetime warranty for residential.  We have the color Dakota Walnut and it's beautiful. 

I wanted something waterproof for my kitchen area and also because a lot of people walking and tracking things into the house. 

So far it's been easy to clean, just dust mop then damp mop with a microfiber with plain water.  It does seem to show dust more than my previous floor, as it's a darker color, but that's just the way it is.  So far, I really like it.

There are so many floor types out there now, it's hard to find just the right one.  I looked for about 3 months, before I finally found one.  We went with a classic color and it goes with everything in our home ..Do not regret it in the least..

Super Contributor

@cddh I just installed LVT -- Luxury Vinyl Tile -- in a room addition to my house. The rest of my house has laminate and I didn't want to worry about water damage in this room. I chose mine from Shaw Flooring. I am very pleased with it. I Swiffer it and once in a while use a damp cloth attached to a Swiffer to clean it. It comes in many colors and designs. I have a wood plank look, but there are many different designs and colors to choose from.

Honored Contributor

Our friend just bought a small condo for her Mom and last night she took us over to show it to us. She had new floors put in throughout - a very pretty driftwood grey vinyl plank flooring.It looks exactly like wood. All the ease of care of vinyl. I have vinyl plank flooring in my camper - love it.

Esteemed Contributor

We are having vinyl floor planks in our new build. It's going everywhere except bedrooms and the two full baths.

Super Contributor

Re: Home Depot vinyl planks

[ Edited ]

ptagirls - I relate to your post.  I have been searching, bringing home samples for a few months now.  I thought I settled on bamboo but did more searching and feel that perhaps it is not for my lifestyle.  My choice in color will be more in the oak family so showing dust should not be a problem; I know the darker the color, the harder it is to always look clean!  I will be looking at Home Depot's vinyl planks in store.  On-line reviews are good.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I am anxious, now, to go look at the planks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I am anxious, now, to go look at the planks.

Make sure you are looking at luxery planks. Also we decided to upgrade to the HD because it looked more like real hardwood.

Trusted Contributor

Geez, what a timely post!  I have been shopping for three days looking at vinyl planks for my kitchen!   I'm hearing conflicting opinions from all the different stores with regards to the floating and glue down versions.  Some stores say the floating versions have gaps and make noises when you walk on them so stay with the glue down type.  Other stores say the opposite!  Who do I believe?!  Can anyone offer up what type you have and any drawbacks?

Right now, I'm also leaning towards the Coretec brand or Armstrong.  I keep looking at the samples I brought home.  It's so hard to pick because each looks different in different lighting.  

Honored Contributor

My friend is having gray vinyl planks installed later this month.  She's putting it in the kitchen, hall and both baths.  She bought it from a flooring store.  She talked about the floating/gluing option.  She is having it glued.  She has two boys under ten and thought the floating floor would be too noisy.