Honored Contributor

Re: Hmmmm went to Goodwill, Salvation Army & Habitat ....

@fthuntWe fell for all that stuff and bought it and bought it and bought it.  No one forced us to do that!

And now?   There's so much waste that even they can't find a way to make money getting rid of it while our shops are overwhelmed by all the stuff we don't want in our homes any longer.   They don't accept what they think they can't sell.  

I'm guilty for sure.   Even though I have cut way, way back on what I purchase, there's still far too much in my home.  I hate to think the vast majority of my excess will end up in trash, but I do think that will be what happens.  

Honored Contributor

My friend's favorite thing to do is go to yard sales every single weekend.

OMG!  He has huge (3 of them)pole barns (those are the huge barns) full of everything you can possibly imagine!  It's all organized but they're things like 20 some weed whackers, so many wheelbarrows and on and on.  

Just weekend before last he hauled away (for free) so many tools, etc he had to make 2 trips.  Amazing tools and things that were in perfect condition.  The guy was moving to Florida and didn't need or want any of it.  He said, he was someone who worked on his cars and fixed 'stuff' but now he was going into a retirement home and had no need for them.  He said his adult children didn't work on anything (just called someone) and they didn't want it.

I know how that goes.  I have 3 adult daughters.   I have told them I would give them my house.  It's huge and all paid for.  It sits on 1 acre on a dead end street.  It's amazing and they grew up there.

But they don't want it.  The one that lives about 1/2 hour from me will have kids in college in a few years.  She still will have an elementary school kid but doesn't want to move.

One is in Florida and is now divorced...wants no part of Virginia, same for the Colorado kid.

No one ever gave me and my late husband one single thing in life.  We did it all on our own entirely.  I can't imagine what I'd do if someone said that to me.

What we have a one generation who's trying to downsize, one generation who don't know how to fix anything (just buy new) and the youngest generation, well, who knows.

I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I do move.  My late husband saved every toy these girls ever had.  They are in perfect condition.  So many things.

I just mailed out to the youngest daughter 2 dresses she wore when she was 13-14 months (that's months) old.  I sent with them some pictures of her wearing them.

When my other two daughters had their baby showers I did the same for them.  Everyone was so in awe that I had the dresses and pictures to match.

THAT'S what people did in my generation.  You passed down the clothes to each kid.  The clothes were perfect and looked brand new.

bought 2 or so years ago (not good on time), I took all of the Temp-Tations, etc I bought from QVC and over the years.  It was so much it took two trips in my friend's truck.  He was having a yard sale and I told him to sell it and give the money to his church.

I went by there and had to leave when I saw how cheap the stuff was selling for....(made me sick).

Oh!  Well!  Time passes on and on.  Like I always say, "It is what it is".  Right?

Honored Contributor

I've thrown out far more than I've donated. It's got to be like new, or old collectibles, for me to donate. I don't want to make extra work for the employees who have to sort through used junk.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

At the school where I taught, some students were needy. 

I guess they were embarrassed because they would not accept food or goods if they thought they were because of charity.

Never understood this very well.

I do think that people who have experienced a tragedy, such as fire or floods, might be more accepting.

My generation seemed to have a concept of "used" more as "treasured." I guess it just depends.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Salvation Army just came to my home to pick up twelve boxes of clothes. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  Donate to your local churches.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I'm in the process of getting some new furniture & want to get rid of my old stuff beforehand, so I can get my tile floors professionally cleaned.  I called a local charity here in Tucson, called Casa de los Niños, that has a thrift store & also helps child well-being & family stability in the community & in the foster care system.  They're coming this Friday to pick up my old stuff.  Check & see what you have locally in your area.

Honored Contributor

I offload stuff on Nextdoor to my neighbors.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:
We baby boomers are finally downsizing and emptying our basements, attics, garages and everywhere else of all the excess Stuff and Clutter, myself included.

@queendiva  I notice fewer garage sales/ swap meets.  All of my  efforts at minimizing go to the Vietnam Veterans of America. I agree, I think priorities have changed and for the better.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I hope to get to a point where I only have what I use & need.  Flea markets, garage sales here are not drawing the people like years ago & you literally need to "give it away" so I do to these organizations!

@homedecor1   I agree and working towards that goal as well.