Honored Contributor

Re: Hmmmm went to Goodwill, Salvation Army & Habitat ....

@Katcat1 

Interestingly the only thing our "local" churches, including mine collect for is their food pantries.

Any ideas other than calling different churches where I can find info.

As I said most churches have signs/banners "asking" for food donations but have not seen household/clothing items requested.

When I moved in this house previous owner left everything and at this time I inquired about a church donation -- no one accepted these things so I gave to Vets.  They came & picked everything up.

Our community collects only food & toiletries for seniors and schools in our area.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I know that some of our churches have large containers in the back of the church for people to drop off clothes, etc.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have been surprised to see the piles of junk many people donate.  One employee told me that 2/3 of the stuff brought to their site is not worth selling.  I only donate  to these charities things I would wear or use myself.  My local Salvation Army is still accepting donations and hope they always will.

Frequent Contributor

In my career at a public library, I was usually appalled at the book/magazine/media donations people donated. They usually were cleaning out a loved ones basement, and the donations had been stored in basements with mouse droppings, stains, mildew etc. Of course we graciously accepted but then had to sort (yuk) and trash a lot. New or like new materials always resold or found good homes, but a lot of people just wanted someone else to deal with items that should have gone to the dumpster first. Same thing for canned food drives in exchange for overdue fines. We were inundated with out of date, dented or damaged cans and boxes. I only donate like new, marketable items. I don’t want to make more work for volunteers at these facilities. 

Respected Contributor

I am glad I read this one as we will be moving in the spring. Our furniture is maple and oak. A little mahogany. Would like people in need to have it. Right now I don’t know how to go about it. Maybe call our town hall. 

Honored Contributor

@Catiele 

I'd contact the local Habitat or Salvation Army.  They take & pick up -- I had them pick up misc. pieces of nice usable furniture.  

Also, you might want to check consignment or resale Hospice shops.

Honored Contributor

I find that how one can donate varies from state to state even from county to county.

I won't donate anything that I wouldn't want to wear or have in my house. Just because someone is in need does NOT mean they want to wear clothes that are torn and stained; sit on furniture held together by duct tape and stinks due to animal or human urine/milk/etc or is falling apart in any way. Yet I know this is what many donate under the guise of "beggars can't be choosers".

Take it the dump. Contact your county and see what they offer via curbsite pickup. See what they will recycle if you bring it to the dump. Mine will recycle bedding including mattress and boxsprings. ALL furniture (if wood). ALL paper products. ALL glass products. ALL metal products. And the list goes on.

Our office of Domestic Violence will take furniture, appliances, toys, books, kitchen items (pots, pans, glasses, cutlery, etc) for our county Safe Houses. These women and children escape violence with just the clothes on their backs and having furniture and items in the kitchen, toys, tv's, etc are SO needed for these places. More than a shelter, they often house people for years due to back-logging of cases. There are health code issues regarding beds, bedding and towels so they can't accept those but it's amazing what they need. Same with homeless shelters/church shelters.

Then there are the animal shelters: they want blankets, towels and sheets. 

Bikes are collected for children in countries where cars and public transportation is simply not possible for the majority of citizens. They also source out to communities in my state for families who need bikes. 

I don't do Goodwill or places like that and I don't do yardsales. Private reasons for me. I search out those who truly need items and the list is amazing; at least where I live.

Honored Contributor

The Vets did come today (I had wrong day) picked up all my pieces and were prompt.

A few minutes later the Salvation Army truck pulled up to the house next to me.

IMG_4159.jpg

It's been a busy "purging" day in our neighborhood!