Valued Contributor

Hit the VPH motherload! LONG

My daughter owns an estate sale co. (out of my town) and she had a huge sale last Fri. and Sat.  I was going to travel to her home for Easter anyway, but she said "Mom, you HAVE to come Thurs. and preview this sale...she knows that I shop the Q (not as much nowadays) and that I watch Val's shows. The family was selling the mother's things who had passed. They had been selling some on Ebay and at a local consignment shop, but wanted to move things faster so they could sell the home. My daughter said the woman's basement had an area with HSN/QVC boxes stacked to the ceiling! The house was so cluttered that it was impossible to have a sale there so my DD had them consign 2 cargo vans full to a nicer home that they were already having a sale for that weekend. I ended up working/helping out at the sale both days as I knew they would be super busy. I bought a couple of Val's things at full price (about half of the Q price) (the boxes were unopened so the invoices were still attached). I also got some things on Sat. ( half price day) and after the sale was over we can pick out any thing at free before it is boxed up to go to a local charity. The family did come pick up the Boyd's bears figures that didn't sell. That was all they wanted back. I ended up with 6 boxes full of goodies and only spent $40.00. Got 2 Fall wreaths, mercury glass accent lamp, mg pumpkin and gourd set, Christmas items, 2 purple luminara candles, and more. She had a bunch of the cone-shaped trees (and dupes) that I ended up giving to my daughter. They only made a small dent in the boxes in the basement and my DD thinks they will probably consign more. I will be at THAT sale for sure if they do!

I'm off to the local nurserys for open houses today. Hope everyone has a beautiful day!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hit the VPH motherload! LONG

[ Edited ]

@country gal 

Sounds like a fab treasure hunt!  I'll bet your daughter's job can be fun sometimes.  

I do NOT want to be the old lady that dies with tons of things stacked to the ceiling!

Honored Contributor

@country gal 

Good score!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I'm glad that some of those items found a good, grateful home!  Sounds like fun!

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@country gal wrote:

My daughter owns an estate sale co. (out of my town) and she had a huge sale last Fri. and Sat.  I was going to travel to her home for Easter anyway, but she said "Mom, you HAVE to come Thurs. and preview this sale...she knows that I shop the Q (not as much nowadays) and that I watch Val's shows. The family was selling the mother's things who had passed. They had been selling some on Ebay and at a local consignment shop, but wanted to move things faster so they could sell the home. My daughter said the woman's basement had an area with HSN/QVC boxes stacked to the ceiling! The house was so cluttered that it was impossible to have a sale there so my DD had them consign 2 cargo vans full to a nicer home that they were already having a sale for that weekend. I ended up working/helping out at the sale both days as I knew they would be super busy. I bought a couple of Val's things at full price (about half of the Q price) (the boxes were unopened so the invoices were still attached). I also got some things on Sat. ( half price day) and after the sale was over we can pick out any thing at free before it is boxed up to go to a local charity. The family did come pick up the Boyd's bears figures that didn't sell. That was all they wanted back. I ended up with 6 boxes full of goodies and only spent $40.00. Got 2 Fall wreaths, mercury glass accent lamp, mg pumpkin and gourd set, Christmas items, 2 purple luminara candles, and more. She had a bunch of the cone-shaped trees (and dupes) that I ended up giving to my daughter. They only made a small dent in the boxes in the basement and my DD thinks they will probably consign more. I will be at THAT sale for sure if they do!

I'm off to the local nurserys for open houses today. Hope everyone has a beautiful day!! 

I can only say, bless her heart. She probably had QVC for company , Where were the children who didn't know Mom was buying so much,or maybe to help her unpack and use it.? There are a lot of loney people in the world and really need someone to spend some time with them. This only makes me sad. Shame on this Family!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's great for you, enjoy your items.  Still, it's such a sad story.  I'm sure there are many more out there that we don't hear about.    

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's great for you, enjoy your items.  Still, it's such a sad story.  I'm sure there are many more out there that we don't hear about.    

Thank you . I feel the same way. And I know people like this.

Honored Contributor

It's sad that people buy so much "stuff."  And then don't even use it... 

It must be a disorder of some sort, but it helps the Chinese economy so at least some good comes of it.

Honored Contributor

Is this the real definition of "hoarder?"  This story makes me feel sad.  Where was the family when she was buying all this stuff?  Didn't they know, or more importantly, care?  I'm just wondering out loud!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~