Respected Contributor

Re: Hiring housecleaning help

Yes, that’s an absolutely reasonable amount and yes, you are wise to be cautious of who you hire.  Try to get recommendations that are trustworthy and/or use a bonded agency (might be a few dollars more).

i can’t imagine going through that process. Our lady is closer to us than some of our family and we move her with us. Started out babysitting but now no babies just growing old together.

Good luck !

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite   Try care.com for housecleaning.  You will out an application online and they end up sending you emails with pictures of candidates and hourly rates.  Way more reasonable than what you were quoted.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine getting a quote of $350 for what you want done. I had a great deal with a woman who charged me $65 for 2 1/2 hours twice a month. She did the same things for me that you're looking for: bathrooms cleaned, floors mopped, vacuuming and dusting my 1800 sq ft town home. Unfortunately she found the job she had been looking for and gave up housecleaning.

I used a large cleaning company many years ago and ended up having all sorts of things disappearing from my home, plus they are usually expensive.

Next Door ap is a good one and is where I found my last house cleaner. I'm just still searching for the "next one"! Good luck to you.

Respected Contributor

I live in a middle to low COL area and if you want an insured, bonded cleaner the first visit is $500 and each visit after is $190 or $120 an hour (1-hour minimum) and the list of things they do NOT do is very lengthy!

Mind you it is just DH and me.  No smoking.  We are both clean people.

We have decided to just have a 'deep cleaning' done every few months for $550 a visit.  It is 2 people who clean for 3-4 hours from ceiling fans to baseboards.   I stay home that day to supervise.

(our insurance carrier like most, will not cover you if you chose to employee uninsured people to be in your home and something gets stolen or an injury occurs) 

Honored Contributor

This might not be very helpful, but my mom was cleaning houses on the side, for friends and acquaintances, and 25 years ago she was getting at least $100 per week for a basic two bedroom, two bath home. If they cancelled a lot, or stretched it out to every other week or once a month it was more, because it was harder to keep up. So some of the prices quoted here seem really low to me (great that you all have found help for that amount!) based on the fact my mom made what she did all that time ago.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

I got my cleaning lady from NextDoor.  It is a site from your neighborhood with recommendations on all kinds of services.  She is great, cleans my 2700 sq.ft. home for $150.  She comes every two weeks.   I would go on local recommendations.

@Hoovermom 

I recommend NextDoor as well.  I found my cleaning lady through a trusted friend, but I have found a gardener via NextDoor after going through about 12 before this one.  Gardener I had for 20 years died about 3 years ago and it has been hard finding anyone who even came close.  So, it is sometimes hard to find anyone without help and NextDoor is a good way to find people who have been tested by people you trust.

Honored Contributor

Try Home Advisor, Angie’s List, Thumb Tacks. Look for the reviews and for cleaners with a longer history on these sites. Secure all valuables and papers with ID an accounts in a locked place.
Valued Contributor

My cleaning person charged $25 an hour.  He worked for another family in the neighborhood and came with references.  Most times, he stayed for 4 hours.  He would do whatever I asked him to do during those four hours.   I or my husband always wanted to be home when he cleaned.  That meant we had less flexibility. 

Mostly, I gave him up because things got nicked and dinged.  No one is perfect; however, I became super sensitive and began looking for damaged things.  

Having a a cleaning person is a luxury.  For me, it came with a down side.  We are doing our own cleaning.  My husband says for what we paid him, we can buy a new car. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

I live in the north east, my friend cleans houses, she charges 15 dollars an hour and people balk at that.

Honored Contributor

Hi @SunSprite I live in the DC Metro area (aka expensive everything) and we pay $135 every 2 weeks to have our house cleaned (plus tip $20).  The initial deep clean was around $300.  We use a well known chain in this area.  2 women (the same team) each time.  No issues at all.  I only wish I could have them come weekly!    I am not sure where you are located, but that quote sounds outrageous, so keep looking - NextDoor, Takl, etc.  Good luck.