Valued Contributor

I'm still working full time (50-60 hours per week) and I'm at the point where I think I want to hire cleaning help to come in every two weeks. I called a local franchised cleaning service and was given a quote of $350, with the first time being more expensive than that. This seems very unreasonable to me, and I certainly can't afford to pay $700+ per month. 

My townhome is small, under 1400 square feet. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. I want the bathrooms done (hate that part), kitchen and utility room mopped, carpets vacuumed and dusting done. I don't want beds touched, nor laundry done. I keep my own kitchen very clean so nothing to do there, except maybe to wipe the counters down. 

I was hoping to pay around $200 (or less!) every two weeks....is that unrealistic of me? I live in the south, cost of living here is much lower than other places....

also, how do you find someone? I don't have an easy time trusting and just not sure how to go about finding an individual....

thanks in advance for any advice, it will be greatly appreciated

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Re: Hiring housecleaning help

We pay $100 every two weeks for a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house. 

I I would expect to pay more for the first visit, but not that much. I live in Atlanta. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Thank you for responding, and that sounds so much more reasonable!

do you  mind me asking gidgetgh how you found your person(s)?

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

Ask neighbors and coworkers who they use.  Check in local giveaway newspapers for ads for house cleaners.  Some local stores have bulletin boards where this kind of info is posted.  Does your community have some kind of neighbor net online where you post garage sales, baby sitters, etc.?

Contributor

I live in the north and I have a six room ranch...3 bedrooms,two bathrooms, a good sized kitchen,livingroom and family room. My woman vacuums, dusts, does both bathrooms from top to bottom,does everything in the kitchen, and does all my hardwood floors for $70 every two weeks. She is worth her weight in gold. She is from Brazil and I got her through word of mouth. It takes her about 2 1/2 hours of non stop work and my house just sparkles!!!

Honored Contributor

I do not have my apt cleaned on a regular basis when I did she charged me 60 for a 2 bed 1 bath, unfortunately she is no longer cleaning

Today I used a local service and it was $125 for 3 women they were in and out in an hour and 15 minutes, they brought everything from rages to cleansers to vacuums 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I pay $130 once a month for 2 people to clean my 3 bedroom 2 bath home. I found them through a friend. I live in NC.

Respected Contributor

My mother hired a local cleaning service and they had different people come every time. 

One of the women stole some of her jewelry (in her bedroom) --another rifled through her medicine cabinet and took pills.

Now family members help her clean the house.

It seems it would be better if you could find one dependable person that you could trust.

You may also want to consider how much access you want the person to have in your house.

Honored Contributor

I live in Tennessee and have two ladies clean my 1200 sq. ft. 3 bedroom 2 bath house once a month.  They do a very thorough job, and I pay them $80 each time.  I think I paid $120 the first time.  The quote you got is outrageous.  My sister recommended them to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my cleaning lady from NextDoor.  It is a site from your neighborhood with recommendations on all kinds of services.  She is great, cleans my 2700 sq.ft. home for $150.  She comes every two weeks.   I would go on local recommendations.