Esteemed Contributor

High ceilings...light bulbs and smoke detectors

Ugh.  Does anyone have problems reaching ceiling lights when changing the bulbs?  Same problem with smoke detectors.  Even my outside lights need a ladder for some.

I had my electrician replace all my smoke detectors and looks like I'll have to find someone to help with some bulbs.   

Honored Contributor

Re: High ceilings...light bulbs and smoke detectors

@SnooppDefinitely an issue for me.  In my younger days, I could do at least some myself, but suddenly (seemed that way to me), I couldn't reach even the lowest. I do have one of the poles they sell to reach high bulbs, but sometimes mine just doesn't seem to loosen and turn the darn things.

Terribly annoying, but I do have to have help.  Once in a while, I have a friend or neighbor I can press into quick service, but more often I add bulb replacement to my list for hired help.  Fortunately, there's really just one high hat above my kitchen counter that makes me want immediate replacement.

I remember reading somewhere that women living alone in their older years need more money than women living with others -  and not just because we live longer. Who'd ever expect that changing light bulbs would be one of those expenses?!!!!

Super Contributor

That is an expense for me, also. I do have all hanging fixtures so I can reach most, but the lights over my bathroom vanity I have a handyman do. I got so tired of lights going out every time I turned around that I recently purchased LED soft white bulbs for these bathroom fixtures. They will last a minimum of five years. As soon as I finish all the incandescent bulbs I have, I will be switching to all LEDs.

Regular Contributor

Morning @Snoopp; go to Amazon and type in "pole to change light bulbs."   My office has this available for us to reach the ceiling bulbs and it works just great!   No ladder necessary.  You do need to be able to hold both arms up....but I'd say take the old bulb out, rest, then when you've got a second wind put the new bulb in.  Beats having to hire someone to help; and beats waiting/walking in the dark until whomever gets there to help you!!!

I'm in the "oldie but goodie" stage, and I can manage it if I take my time.  I don't ask the younger people to do it because I don't want to give anyone the illusion that I'm not as capable.

Honored Contributor

About once a year we have DH's young cousin come over and do some handyman chores for us. He gets on the roof and cleans out the lint from the dryer vent, he takes down the covers on the AC vents - I clean them & he gets back up to replace them. He cleans the ceiling fans, gets up in the attic and puts stuff away for us. He is great at electronics and helps us out if we have any ? about how to do something. He also pulls weeds and helps DH spread mulch. For this day of handyman work I believe DH pays him $150. Last year he replaced a screen on our lanai and taught DH how to do it. The professionals wanted a couple hundred dollars just to do that. There are some things best left to the young to do. He is happy to get the $$$ and we are happy to get a bunch of stuff we can't do taken care of.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I do have the pole which helps for some bulbs but not all of mine, unfortunately.  I've got one fixture so high up I can't even tell what type of bulbs are in it.  And some of my ceiling fixtures are tough to get the cover off when changing the bulb.  I'm also switching to Led bulbs when I can.

Anyone who who has a young helper is very lucky.  Wish I had someone... looks like I'll have to find a handyman or the electrician.

I'm going to look for lower ceilings in my next home. 

Valued Contributor

@Snoopp

I understand your frustration.  There are a lot of small jobs we can't do, or have a lot of difficulty trying to do. Anything that's too high up, we no longer do ourselves. Lately it's getting hard to do anything that's too low, also. It really makes you feel your age.

Luckily for us our son is close by to do small chores, like changing smoke detector batteries, and such.

My balance is not good, so I don't want to be on a ladder unless I'm holding on with both hands. It's a little difficult to change the batteries without letting go of the ladder.Woman LOL

I had to hire a handyman to assemble something (can't remember what it was), He charged $100.00 per hour. If I needed one light bulb changed, it would still have cost me a $100.00. He won't come out for less than that. It's hard finding people for really small jobs.

Honored Contributor

Although I had no idea this would be true when I bought my condo, I am so fortunate to live in just a slightly above average cost community.  We attract a preponderance of women buyers, some of us older, some still working, but many of us need to hire help.  Because there are so many of us who need help and can afford help (although not what that help costs in the expensive communities), we keep several handymen working as much as they want, and because there's lots of chatter among us, they have to remain competitive.

I keep a running list of non-emergency tasks because it's just cheaper to get them done that way.  Helps pay for those that just can't be delayed.

I'd love to be able to do what I used to or to have family nearby  - but since neither is true, I feel lucky to have the choices I do.  I can imagine someday having to move to assisted living, but not now, not any time while I can still feel safe without that.

Super Contributor

My brother lives close by and I have him do small handyman tasks, like changing the batteries on smoke alarms and the kitchen and bathroom bulbs.  I am going to have to hire someone clean my outside windows.  It is too tricky for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased one of those pole bulb products. They work for removing/replacing the bulbs. Now, the batteries in the smoke detectors is another issue. I'm not a fan of ladders but aside from moving the detector to a different spot then a ladder still seems to be the solution. I did finally get a smaller size ladder that has a padded hand rail at the top. i also have seen some companies that offer this service but have no idea what they charge.