Trusted Contributor

Re: Hi Deft Decoerators- I need your help!

@violann wrote:

Just for a little TMI, it broke my heart in two to give up my Dutch roofed Craftsman 1 1/2 story bungalow, but for various reasons it was no longer the best place for DH or for me.

I was actively searching, when, one Saturday a little over a year ago! DH and I simultaneously found our present house in a local real estate ad.

Leaving his morning coffee, DH raced to the address and found a SOLD sign on the house.

Boring story omitted, we became the 2nd owners of a house built in 1955, scrupulously preserved and cautiously updated, then vacant for a couple years.

I Love Lucy, Father Knows Best, Nancy Hughes’ kitchen? BRING IT!

The DR is A DINING ROOM. It could not be anything else, nor would we need it or want it to be.

Also- blue bathroom fixtures, 50’s tile, 20 year old kitchen appliances, PLANTER DIVIDER between front door and living room, pink granite fireplace and facing on the front?

Our little slice of Heaven!

It does sound like heaven.  Rooms that are actually separate rooms and not one gigantic cavern.  A planter divider?  I just love those things.  We had that kind of thing going up along the stairs to the second floor in my childhood home.  You just don't find that kind of charm in the houses today. 

It's not that I don't understand why people like all those vaulted ceilings and open spaces, in their own way those things are nice.  It's just that it's not the kind of house that I personally want to live in.  I like old-fashioned traditional styles.  They just feel more cozy to me.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@violann wrote:

Just for a little TMI, it broke my heart in two to give up my Dutch roofed Craftsman 1 1/2 story bungalow, but for various reasons it was no longer the best place for DH or for me.

I was actively searching, when, one Saturday a little over a year ago! DH and I simultaneously found our present house in a local real estate ad.

Leaving his morning coffee, DH raced to the address and found a SOLD sign on the house.

Boring story omitted, we became the 2nd owners of a house built in 1955, scrupulously preserved and cautiously updated, then vacant for a couple years.

I Love Lucy, Father Knows Best, Nancy Hughes’ kitchen? BRING IT!

The DR is A DINING ROOM. It could not be anything else, nor would we need it or want it to be.

Also- blue bathroom fixtures, 50’s tile, 20 year old kitchen appliances, PLANTER DIVIDER between front door and living room, pink granite fireplace and facing on the front?

Our little slice of Heaven!

It does sound like heaven.  Rooms that are actually separate rooms and not one gigantic cavern.  A planter divider?  I just love those things.  We had that kind of thing going up along the stairs to the second floor in my childhood home.  You just don't find that kind of charm in the houses today. 

It's not that I don't understand why people like all those vaulted ceilings and open spaces, in their own way those things are nice.  It's just that it's not the kind of house that I personally want to live in.  I like old-fashioned traditional styles.  They just feel more cozy to me.

Me too!.  I like rooms with walls and doors and to be able to get away when I have to.

Hard to do that with one, big open space unless you want to go into a bedroom or the bathroom.

Respected Contributor

Anyone who thinks china hutches have become extinct should see the Ethan Allen catalog of "new" furniture items I received recently.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

For the first time in many years, I have a large flat topped china closet. I'd like to display something on top- traditional and cozy.

I have some carnival glass, some pitchers, a couple pedestal glass and ceramic cake plates......

This is NOT my strong suit so I'd love some suggestions.

@violann

Do you have a collection of anything?  I have lacy angels and (Steiff) jointed teddy bears displayed on top of my china closet.  You could also use baskets (for example) along with silk flowers you love.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Here's another idea which could be changed out each season:

@violann

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/53/d3/ca/53d3ca071ece59f9a923e0eb594c63b8--china-cabinets-kitchen-cabinets.jpg

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad that I'm outta style!P_20171003_114352.jpg

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@violann wrote:

For the first time in many years, I have a large flat topped china closet. I'd like to display something on top- traditional and cozy.

I have some carnival glass, some pitchers, a couple pedestal glass and ceramic cake plates......

This is NOT my strong suit so I'd love some suggestions.

@violann

Do you have a collection of anything?  I have lacy angels and (Steiff) jointed teddy bears displayed on top of my china closet.  You could also use baskets (for example) along with silk flowers you love.

@AnikaBrodie - I took all the dishes and glasses and other stuff out of mine and replaced it all with the few pieces of Waterford, Royal Tara tea cups, saucers and teapots I have and anything else I had that was made in Ireland.  I like it so much better.

Contributor

sounds like you have your decor under control. no need to seek outside advice when you know exactly what you are doing.. and I loved father know best just didn't realize  Margret's  decor was still in vogue. thanks for the good natured response. good luck.

Respected Contributor

E8CCD033-5FF1-4CE6-A47D-B9916DC20C19.jpegI need to arrange these again after I dust them, but you get an idea

Honored Contributor

@snakebite60 wrote:

sounds like you have your decor under control. no need to seek outside advice when you know exactly what you are doing.. and I loved father know best just didn't realize  Margret's  decor was still in vogue. thanks for the good natured response. good luck.

I bet your surroundings look pretty snazzy, and I’d no doubt appreciate them for you.

I’m just a true retro lover (except shoulder pads LOL).