Honored Contributor

Re: Here's my take on the Mirage candles

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

Thank you, MIO, for your very detailed review, it was excellent.  My Mirage candles will be here Wednesday.  I got the cream since I can use year round and can add whatever color I want with pedestals, candle rings, etc.  I was waiting to see mine before ordering more but with your review I think I'll get another set now.

I'm so anxious to see how you like yours. I am now wishing I had ordered the grey, as my mom liked them, and the green as well. I think a big part of my liking them is the color/finish. Mine are more muted in color than they appeared on air, and I like that. The colors are very rich looking. 

I looked online, and these are available in several other colors, a yellow/gold/mustard looking one that would be great for harvest. Hope Q gets some of those. The price for one was more than the two of these, so I'd really like to pick up more of these. Don't need more red, and I considered the cream, but I have a bazillion cream Luminaras, mostly the scrolled ones.

And not all my Luminara make a clicking sound as the flame dances, but some are rather loud. I'm thinking it is the candle stick ones with the big bases with handles, kind of look like a chamberstick candle type thing. I think they billed them as window candles. Love the look of those, and have three sets, but they are rather loud. I remember reading other's reviews that stated the clicking bothered them. Must be in specific styles or a hit and miss thing.

Let us know what you think of yours when they come!

I sure will post back to you.  I also have those chamberstick Luminaras and I used them in places that are not close to where we spend time so probably never noticed the clicking sound.  I do know they are battery guzzlers.  I'm excited to receive mine now more than ever. I also ordered the scroll Luminaras, have never had those.  Do they clash with any of your pedestals or candle holders?  I was always afraid they would be too busy but the price on these was very good so I took a chance.  They will be here this week too.

Esteemed Contributor

What a great review, mominohio.  I just knew the mottled wax would look good since they're made by CI.  I am not in need of any more candles for myself at the moment, thank goodness! I do like to see what is new and on sale, though, and I know to never say never to a new candle.  

Respected Contributor

Great post MIO.  I have become such a Luminara snob.  It makes perfect sense regarding the "toss" angle & the investment aspect.  I tried Solare & sent them back, however I really resisted ordering the silver Solare shown during CIJ.  I'll try them when CI gets a bit more innovative design wise.  Can't wait until the Luminara extravaganza coming up in a few days.  Stalking the Luminara votives...refuse to pay those rediculous eBay prices :/  

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

Thank you, MIO, for your very detailed review, it was excellent.  My Mirage candles will be here Wednesday.  I got the cream since I can use year round and can add whatever color I want with pedestals, candle rings, etc.  I was waiting to see mine before ordering more but with your review I think I'll get another set now.

I'm so anxious to see how you like yours. I am now wishing I had ordered the grey, as my mom liked them, and the green as well. I think a big part of my liking them is the color/finish. Mine are more muted in color than they appeared on air, and I like that. The colors are very rich looking. 

I looked online, and these are available in several other colors, a yellow/gold/mustard looking one that would be great for harvest. Hope Q gets some of those. The price for one was more than the two of these, so I'd really like to pick up more of these. Don't need more red, and I considered the cream, but I have a bazillion cream Luminaras, mostly the scrolled ones.

And not all my Luminara make a clicking sound as the flame dances, but some are rather loud. I'm thinking it is the candle stick ones with the big bases with handles, kind of look like a chamberstick candle type thing. I think they billed them as window candles. Love the look of those, and have three sets, but they are rather loud. I remember reading other's reviews that stated the clicking bothered them. Must be in specific styles or a hit and miss thing.

Let us know what you think of yours when they come!

I sure will post back to you.  I also have those chamberstick Luminaras and I used them in places that are not close to where we spend time so probably never noticed the clicking sound.  I do know they are battery guzzlers.  I'm excited to receive mine now more than ever. I also ordered the scroll Luminaras, have never had those.  Do they clash with any of your pedestals or candle holders?  I was always afraid they would be too busy but the price on these was very good so I took a chance.  They will be here this week too.

Most of the Luminara scrolls I have are in cream or ivory or whatever they call it at the time, and I don't think they clash at all. I use them with the big square MG pedestals, with the more round MG candlesticks and with other plates and trays that I have. 

I will say that they are on the more elegant side, so in places where I would want to put a candle in a basket, or in a more country or rustic setting, I don't think they look good. For that, I use my Luminara 'grungy' candles. I found them at a gift store, and they are like the candles that look like they are dusted with cinnamon or something. Fit country or cabin decor really well, and look great in the kitchen.

Luminara needs to get the burn time up some on their candles. I'm sure the flicker takes more than say, a traditional CI candle, but I think they could do better. I think they were getting away with it because they were the only thing on the market with the flame look. That is over now, so we'll see how that changes things. Also, they are very pricy, and if a couple of other brand come up with methods to achieve the same look, their high price days might be over.

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I received these yesterday in the gray color and couldn't agree more wth mominohio's review. I love these !!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info MIO.  I hesitated on ordering them because I figured they were too good to be true at that price.  Guess I should have taken a chance on them.  I also have the window Luminara candles and while I do love them, I also find them a little too costly to stock up.  If these come back in some other colors, I will try them also.  

Honored Contributor

UPDATE

I turned the candles on last night after dark, and set them right next to a Luminara. I watched them with the lights out, and while I stated before that my Luminara have varying degrees of 'flicker', some dance like mad, others barely move, I did notice that the flicker effect in the Mirage was much more subdued than in the average Luminara.

So, I'm not sure what that will mean to someone else. I find some of my Luminara to be rather hyper in the flicker, especially if viewed up close. I'm not at all unhappy, at this point, with the more calm effect in the Mirage. 

Now, it is too early to know whether the amount and speed of the flicker will change in any way, or decrease to nothing as the batteries wear down. So I will be burning these daily for quite a few hours to see if the level of flicker remains constant, or changes with age of product or decrease of battery power.

I'm still very happy with this purchase, and like the candles a lot.

I have a house full of Luminara (and many Candle Impressions without the flame) and they will be going nowhere. I still enjoy them all. 

What I might see in my future is, if they make these Mirage in more styles, I might choose them over Luminara for price, since I like the effect just as much.

For me, the first thing to consider in a flameless candle is color. If they don't have a color I'm looking for, I'm done right off. A very close second and probably tying with first place is the style. If the size/style/embossing etc. doesn't really grab me, I'm done looking. I have so many now, that I am rather choosy, and won't just buy a good deal candle if I'm not totally in love with the look. Battery life comes next, and cost is last, if I really love it.

It was the look of these combined with the great cost (and long return time) that led me to give them a whirl. I'd been hoping someone would come close to replicating what Luminara has been doing, because they are too expensive, and competition is great for the consumer!

Honored Contributor

Oh, and I forgot yesterday to say that some of us noticed in the on air presentation, it appeard that there was no flicker.

As often happens on air, with lights and cameras, it doesn't look like it much, but in real life, there is more flicker than you could see on air. 

The taped version (stock video that they cut away to that the vendor produced) shows the flicker a little better than the live presentation was showing.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your continued thoughts, mominohio. 

Would you say that your Mirage candles flicker just like the one in this video?  Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ePfJn0Uqnc

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

Thanks for your continued thoughts, mominohio. 

Would you say that your Mirage candles flicker just like the one in this video?  Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ePfJn0Uqnc

I'd say that is a pretty close representation. The one in the video above seems to have a different 'pattern' than I noticed on mine, but I'd say it is really close to the actual amount of perceived movement. 

This video is kind of old, too, (2012) and I don't know if they have updated/changed the technology any since then, than might make a difference to anyone.