Regular Contributor

Help with making my towels soft and fluffy after washing

I am finding my good towels are getting very scratchy.  I use unscented detergent (arm and hammer). I use unscented downy occasionally but don't see a difference.  I've read adding a half cup of baking soda will help??? Looking for any recommendations on detergent brands, etc?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help with making my towels soft and fluffy after washing

I use wool dryer balls from Amazon, vs. Any kind of fabric softener. I always thought that the fabric softener just coated my towels. I put 4 wool dryer balls in with a load of towels, they come out pretty soft and fluffy.

Trusted Contributor

I do not use fabric softener on towels as I was told that makes them less absorbent. However, I use several (like 10) dryer balls and dry them longer on low heat. This makes them pretty soft. 

Trusted Contributor

About quarter cup of white vinegar in the rinse water is great!

Esteemed Contributor

I use Gain Original and everything stays fresh and soft. I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets. 

Respected Contributor

I've always wondered how do hotels keep their towels soft and fluffy.

Esteemed Contributor

Use a lot less detergent and always an extra rinse cycle.

I order Swash detergent from AMZ. I got a sample of the detergent with my new Maytag washer in May. Fantastic stuff! Highly concentrated; a little goes a LONG way. Self- measuring bottle. Really great on my Charisma towels. I also think starting with the best possible towels makes a huge difference.

Honored Contributor

@Tag2020 

Soap residue is usually behind the scratchy towels.  To test this, put the towels in a wash cycle without any product, then lift the lid and look for signs of soap in the water.  Unless the water is crystal clear, there's likely soap residue washing out of those towels.  White vinegar in the rinse cycle removes that residue, and the vinegar helps remove the soap residue that builds up in the washer drain lines as well.  

Baking soda helps remove odors in the dirty clothing, but is no help with soap residue.  

Honored Contributor

Half cup of baking soda with the detergent.  Rinse with warm water.  A housekeeper we had told me that years ago.  

Valued Contributor

I second the vinegar recommendation. It is incredible how well vinegar cleans and softens fabric.

I live right off a mountain and our water is extremely hard with lots of minerals (we even have a water softener).

I use vinegar all the time in the washer.  It helps with stale towel odors and softens great!