Respected Contributor

Re: Help me with decor in small city apartment please

Love your apartment and the views.

Honored Contributor

I think you might be able to brighten that kitchen a bit, with some bright or light accessories and linens. Anything that you would sit out on your counters or island (bowls, small appliances, dish towels, canisters etc.) choose bright colors to coordinate with your connecting room. I think that would alleviate a lot of the dark. 

And you do need something on the rug, in my opinion. I'd probably choose a trunk type coffee table, so you could store inside it, or the softer large ottoman style pieces that people are using as coffee tables.

And it's just me, but I'd want matching chairs on either side of the fireplace. I'm particularly fond of the more neutral one. 

Your living space and location are so opposite mine. I live very rural and private, and have more antiques. It is so fun though, to see your big city views and I think the apartment is lovely, so different than any apartments we find in our area's towns and cities. Thanks for sharing your space, I love imagining what it would be like to live there!

Honored Contributor

I think it looks amazing, @Phelina and wouldn't change a thing other than to place the two front legs of the living room chairs onto the rug.  

Other than that, I think over time you will find, through use, what will work and what won't.  You already know at this stage of your life, you spend time seated on the floor so no need for a coffee table.  Enjoy your flexibility while you have it, and work to never lose it is the best advice I can share!

It's a lovely home and you've chosen lovely things.  Any suggestions from our clever posters could easily be tried out, should you wish to do so.

Flowers are always a happy addition.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Phelina  Take the two vases with flowers on the sideboard and try them by the fireplace.  Otherwise purchase some chunky, medium tall candlesticks for the fireplace.  Lower the picture above the fireplace.  You rug looks very interesting and has very pretty colors in it.

kindness is strength