Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help me with decor in small city apartment please

@Phelina, what a beautiful apartment and view! Lucky you! I agree that pulling those LR chairs in closer to the couch and adding a low coffee table in front of the couch would look great - also pull the bench away from the wall. Find a couple of bookcases for the areas on either side of the fireplace - it's just made for that.  Maybe an area rug under the dining room table would soften that area a bit. The kitchen is dark, but it's so roomy and really nice. It sure doesn't look small to me - it's beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@Phelina  Another thought... I note you saying you don't want a coffee table and that is of course an individual choice. Mine would be to have something in front of the sofa. If you didn't want a large, heavy table, given that you like to sit on the floor in that area, you might want to consider a pair of smaller tables that would take up visual space but that would be easy to move aside.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Phelina  I'm not fond of coffee tables, either. Nor have I ever had a TV in a living room. (Someone asked about that.) Your apartment is lovely, clean and easy to maintain. And that floor and view are spectatular!   

Most of us have rushed into "decorating" by purchasing too much too soon. Live with what you have in the new surroundings and decide what you need and want. Keeping clutter to a minimum is the most efficient way of living!

Enjoy your simplicity and purchase only what "speaks to you" . . . your style is beautiful. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

You have a beautiful apartment. I'd find an end table and lamp. Then I'd put some brightly colored appliances on the counter with matching Fiesta Ware. Wall color is fine by me, so unless I owned it, I'd leave walls as is.

Honored Contributor

I'd try moving things around.

Swap pictures. 

Pull couch and rug back a couple feet.

Pull chairs away from walls into room.

Put vases with pink flowers on mantle

Put silver table behind couch with candles, white flower

Pull bench in front of couch, add bowl with fruit

Get tall lamps for both sides of fireplace.  If you have books, collectios, etc put short bookshelf on both sides, add tags lamps ontop.

In kitchen, I'd have some colorful plates on the backsplash.  3M hanging tape won't leave damage

Wouldn't add anything to eating area unless there was a need for a small hutch or wine fridge/storage.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Phelina 

Lots of good ideas already posted.

Suggestions for those two fireplaces corners: in the darker corner, how about a silk tree with tiny white lights ?

For the other corner, a stack of gorgeous floor pillows on a low cabinet where you could store afghans, candles, etc.

Moving the two chairs onto the rug, I would move the mirrored console behind the sofa where a fat accent color lamp would brighten and divide.

Replace the painting above the console with a large mirror and rest the painting on the fireplace mantel.

I would like to see the rug under the table to define that area and get a larger rug for the fireplace area.  If you could find the twin to it that would add balance.

Whitenkitchen small appliances would make the dark kitchen pop.  If you have different shaped serving type plates in white, I would attach them in a line with 3M hangars which won’t harm the wall.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it because life is way too short!

@jlkz you think a lot like me or visversa.  I didn't catch the 3m the first time Read replies.  I hang everything with those hangers. Should have stock in the company.

Honored Contributor

I would put bookcases, console tables, or matching small chests with doors and shelves behind them next to the fireplace.  Storage is always a plus!

Your place is fabulous!  I'd move right in.

Don't clutter it up!!!!!  Get some rugs to define space and let it be cool and sleek! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Graciea wrote:

Beautiful apartment, but it looks like you need more lighting. I would think you need some kind of a table next to the sofa with some light on it. I would move the two chairs in closer to the sofa. Maybe put some bookcases in those alcoves? You could put lamps or lanterns on top of those.

I agree one hundred percent with your advice.  Wish I could personally visit that apartment to help with the decorating.  Hard to do with pictures that don't really show it all.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

71,806 Posts
Home Decorating & Design Discussions

that’s where to go on the houzz website. The section is not for shopping.

its for advice. 

Love the Houzz website.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@GCR18 

There have been some mishaps for me with the 3M hooks.

One, a lightweight plastic flat shell fell from the wall during our time back home from FL....the heat may have played a roll but other things were no problem there.

Two, even when being very careful pulling the pull strip to remove the device, I have had damage done to the drywall.

sometimes I will use 2 to make certain an item stays safely on the wall !

I too should have stock in the company !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill