Honored Contributor

Re: Help me with decor in small city apartment please

I'm a less is more person, so I wouldn't add much at all other than things that are personal to me.

If you spend a lot of time on the floor, I would invest in some floor pillows and then you can stack them where you would normally put an end table or accent tables.  Maybe get a huge oversized basket or wire bin to put them in.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Your apartment is lovely.  I really like your sofa, chairs, throw rug.  I think all of your furnishings are very pretty and look so good together.  

Trusted Contributor

71,806 Posts
Home Decorating & Design Discussions

that’s where to go on the houzz website. The section is not for shopping.

its for advice. 

Honored Contributor

This is a lovely apartment.  I love your colors.  I agree with a flower arrangement for dining or tall piece to bring your color scheme to the other end of the room.  I also like the idea of covering the black chairs at kitchen counter.  I think stainless steel appliances on counter and maybe a colorful bowl of oranges or peachs on the counter. Bright green modern greenery  always brightens, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Phelina Your apartment is beautiful and not that small.  I am a little jealous and like your style, nice modern furniture.  Based on my past mistakes, I recommend not to buy anything just to fill space. The cluttered look is out. collectibles are out.  That being said, if you do have collectibles, i have no beef with that.  i even see room to display them.

The only awkward thing I see are structural issues, the dark cubbie spaces next to the fireplace.  They seem to call for shelves which could have books or collectibles if you have them and are looking for a place to put them. But I would not buy anything to fill the space, you may need the space later for something else and may regret the purchase.  Or at least that is what happened to me.

I would get a coffee table, a place to put stuff while in the living room.  If you like a glass top, it is easy to have it custom sized so it does not interfere with sitting on the floor.  A sofa table would be nice IF you need it.  i wouldm't buy just to fill space because I would regret it when I needed the space.

I am surprised to see no TVs. Are you planning to have one?  Do you need a desk?  if yes maybe a small one behind the sofa instead of a sofa table.  Or along the wall where the lamps are.

You may want floor/wall lamps next to the seating.  Or table lamps if you get side tables.

I would have more wall artwork.  It looks like you have a couple of pieces centered on walls.  I have a small space and use the walls for artwork that makes me happy to look at it.  I would hang more pieces.  You can rearrange things and hang a lot more.  I would put some artwork on the white kitchen wall, maybe on the soffits.

The kitchen is dark. is there a backsplash?  maybe you can add peel and stick backsplash to add brightness. I rent too and mine is just painted white which is fine for my super small space.

i don't see how a room divider would enhance the space.  it is just clutter to me, blocking light.

Good luck!  Decorate to make you happy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Phelina  What a nice space and I really like the things you've placed in your apartment and the pretty colors you've chosen. Just take your time finishing it, making sure each piece you add will stand the test of time. Just a few thoughs off the top of my head,... you might consider instead of pushing the chairs next to the fireplace into the wall niches, you might incorporate shelves or some sort of case goods into the niches and move the chairs out a bit. Tables next to each chair, either smaller ones to set down a glass or a book, or larger ones that might hold a lamp, are worth considering... Good luck and enjoy the journey...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Very pretty and glamorous, @Phelina!  I'd just pull your furniture in a bit so that more of it is sitting on the rug.  Gives a more intimate feeling.  You can take your time selecting more art work as you find things that you like....

Love your urban view too!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I second @Somertime@stevieb--  please keep posting.  You have wonderful taste!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for your kind words... Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Phelina 

Lots of good ideas already posted.

Suggestions for those two fireplaces corners: in the darker corner, how about a silk tree with tiny white lights ?

For the other corner, a stack of gorgeous floor pillows on a low cabinet where you could store afghans, candles, etc.

Moving the two chairs onto the rug, I would move the mirrored console behind the sofa where a fat accent color lamp would brighten and divide.

Replace the painting above the console with a large mirror and rest the painting on the fireplace mantel.

I would like to see the rug under the table to define that area and get a larger rug for the fireplace area.  If you could find the twin to it that would add balance.

Whitenkitchen small appliances would make the dark kitchen pop.  If you have different shaped serving type plates in white, I would attach them in a line with 3M hangars which won’t harm the wall.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it because life is way too short!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill