Respected Contributor

Re: Help me with decor in small city apartment please

I like your kitchen. Modern, clean ,not a lot of stuff/clutter. Area rugs are not for me. Keep it as it.

Trusted Contributor

@Phelina 

I think your apartment is very nice as is.  Sometimes, less is better.  Give it some time & thought, you'll come up with colors or additional pieces that will be your style.  So far, I think you've done a very good job.  

Enjoy your apartment.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Phelinaa The apartment is lovely as well as your choice in furniture and colors.  I would move the mirrored console to the back of the sofa.  Although, I love where you have it placed, it would give you more room for the chairs if you moved it. I would put the painting that is above it over the fireplace instead.  I would move the two chairs to either side of the couch and remove the wooden bench from under the window and not use it at all.  Are there electrical outlets in the floor to plug in lamps?  For an end table, I would get a round particle board table from say Ballard Designs and a floor length tablecloth to cover it and use it next to the cream chair.  Here's a sample of fabric that might work   For the other table, I would go to Ballard Designs online, they have some great tables that you might like that aren't heavy looking.  In the two alcoves on either side of the fireplace, I would use a couple of floating shelves from Ikea and in the other one I would do some mirrors or art work as well as the smaller painting from over the fireplace.  I would change the color of the seats that are at the counter from black to white or even the orange that matches your chair, just recover the seats. Grandin Road has some with seats in that color and are already assembled.  Love how it looks without any drapes and curtains!  Only suggestions but I, really, think you do not need anyone's input, you have a great eye!  Enjoy and have fun!T_WithoutZoom (2).jpg

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The mods deleted my post which named a decorating website you should go to.    There are many talented people as well as professional decorators who will give you all sorts of wonderful/useful advice.  It’s Houzz and go to the decorating section.

dont know what was so awful about my giving you some helpful advice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some apt. Gorgeous! Make no apologies.

Kitchen: just pick up maybe 3 white items to display on the counter top: something like a dinner plate, vase and candle, for example. Make them pure white and inexpensive. See what you have around your home and spray paint them white- it's what designers do.

LR: I suggest, FWIW, putting at least the front legs of all the 3 seating pieces on the rug. Get 2 end tables- one next to the sofa with a lamp on it and one to place between the two chairs.

In the niches on either side of the fireplace I would put 2 chests of drawers (maybe paint a mismatched pair blue to compliment the rug, or black) or two shelf units (matched pair for height and width). Chests would provide storage, and you could hang a print over each, framed in black frames.

Large mirror over the FP with fabulous frame . Keep the print and place over future chest of drawers, just add another print of similar size and style.

Last: something much taller and fabulous in the center of your dining table.

Know that all my suggestions can be found in thrift stores and big box stores as well as Home Goods and online retailers. Write down all measurements and keep them in your phone or on a paper in your wallet for reference at all times. You never know when a treasure will appear. 

Your apt would be perfect for a HGTV-type show. Get rid of nothing. Adding a few items will make a huge difference. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

What a great space to work with!  Love your furniture.

I would make my entire seating area centered in front of the living room window

Slide the couch back farther so the floor lamp helps luminate it better.

Pull the chairs out of the alcoves and if bookcases aren't in the budget, perhaps tables with lamps or candles on them can go in there.  At least in the dark corner.

Use the wooden bench as a room divider with some tall objects such as your potted branches that are on the mirrored console table.  

You need a coffee/cocktail table for in front of your couch.  The two upholstered chairs also need a (round) table between them.

Honored Contributor

It already looks professionally decorated..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Phelina  You’re apartment is lovely!  Less is better.  The floors are beautiful - you show them off well.

Respected Contributor

It is a nice apartment and you have some good color choices. I would put an area rug under the dining room table and chairs and put something in the center of the table with color. Like a huge candle or a flower arrangement in an unusual vase. I would move the two chairs up by the rug and then like someone else said put portable book shelves where the chairs are and books and things on them that you really like. Put and end table by the couch with a pretty lamp. Put multi colored pillows on the couch to warm it up. Set something like a big copper or some sort of metal bucket or a huge basket off to the side of the fireplace hearth and fill it with some logs. It is nice in my opinion it just needs to be warmed up and made more cozy and welcoming.

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy According to Community Standards, it's fine to give the name of a retailer but you cannot post a direct link to an outside retailer. Hope this helps.