Respected Contributor

Re: Help me find the right vacuum/sweeper

I've actually had Sharks for many years.  You have to do the maintenance on them and they'll last.  Keep the filters clean and keep them cleaned out.  You have to take them apart and clean out the inside.  I currently have two of the lightweight models - one for upstairs and one down.  Dysons - to me - are just too expensive and too cumbersome.  And I've never used a cordless that worked as well as corded.

Esteemed Contributor

Dyson upright.....I swear by this brand. I always have dogs. (German Shepherds & Huskies) I had a Kirby vacuum that lasted 25 years and it did a wonderful job of pulling out dog hair, hidden dirt, etc. from the carpet. I donated that simply because it got too heavy fro me to push. That's when I converted to Dyson. This vacuum is the best thing since sliced bread for my needs. I vacuum at least twice a week. It's amazing how much "stuff" it can find. I like the 5 year warranty and the permanent filters that are really substantial. I'vr had other stick vacuums and those filters look like a coffe filter to me and just didn't last. I have all types of flooring but I also have carpet and Royal Palace rugs., Our home is on the larger size and every room is used. I'm a bit of a cleaning "nut" and I like to make a purchase that is going to work and last. This Dyson meets ourt needs.   

Honored Contributor

I'd like to recommend this wonderful Fuller carpet sweeper. No cords or batteries needed. Works so well on most any kind of surface. I've had mine for eons and just recently replaced the brush rolls which can be found easily. Best of all it's virtually silent.

original.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

This won't help but will throw it in as my experience.  Had a Cocker Spaniel, lots of thick hair - chocolate dog/beige thick carpets.  With my animal Dyson (from Q) unbelievable amount of fur came out of my carpet after having a Panasonic vac.  My lady friends were amazed - carpet appeared clean - but the vac cup was full full after twice over the carpet.  NOW I just saw Mr. D saying they no longer make corded vacs - cordless only - so I would never be interested in buying another.  Guess I'd try Shark corded full size cuz I love my new Shark Rocket (handheld).  Happy Shopping

*  won't help cuz Dyson quit corded vacs (their mistake I think)

@fthunt wrote:

This won't help but will throw it in as my experience.  Had a Cocker Spaniel, lots of thick hair - chocolate dog/beige thick carpets.  With my animal Dyson (from Q) unbelievable amount of fur came out of my carpet after having a Panasonic vac.  My lady friends were amazed - carpet appeared clean - but the vac cup was full full after twice over the carpet.  NOW I just saw Mr. D saying they no longer make corded vacs - cordless only - so I would never be interested in buying another.  Guess I'd try Shark corded full size cuz I love my new Shark Rocket (handheld).  Happy Shopping

*  won't help cuz Dyson quit corded vacs (their mistake I think)

@fthunt

Thanks for the info....that's crazy they are no longer going to make corded Vacs...probably just because it's cheaper to make puts more money in their pocket....Woman Frustrated 

I think you are right, they are making a big mistake. For example, Im not going to sit there waiting for a vac to

re-charge so I can finish my vacuming---I have a lot carpet and with 2 cats I like to use the attachments and vaccum the furniture and the cat hair where they've been napping/sitting.....one charge isnt going to do it in my house, and I want something efficient and that's not it.....Dyson was always overpriced for me so I will continue to purchase from their competitors......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The thing I hate about Sharks is that they're made to be disposable.  IMO they cost too much to just pitch if they malfunction.  They are not repairable, just replaceable.  I have both a Shark and a Dyson and you can feel the difference in quality without ever turning them on.

@Kachina624

I havent been impressed with Dyson and its real heavy too, and you are right about Shark they are lightweight and easy to manuvuer but they dont last long....I tried a Eureka Pet Pro and it lost suction and didnt last long either.....My sister is happy with her Hoover Pet (and someone else mentioned that one here on this thread)---maybe I will give that one a try......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@MominohioI probably had every major brand of vacuum.  Oreck was junky with a high price tag.  Hoover lasted only a year, Shark was great until it kept getting clogged with dog fur then the motor blew, bissell wasn't powerful - can't remember them all. We had shephard collies with lots of thick fur.  Dyson was the only one that was able to handle it all.  I have an upright (got one of the first) which is still going strong and then a cannister which I've had for 3 years now.  Have not had issues with either.  I used to vacuum my mixed shepherd dog with really thick fur with my Dyson (who loved it) and would often have to empty it 3 times a day. 

@Pook

My mom always said cannister vacs were the best....Im beginning to think that......but not so easy to manuvuer around furniture.......but for durability and suction power....Id be willing to take it....

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I've actually had Sharks for many years.  You have to do the maintenance on them and they'll last.  Keep the filters clean and keep them cleaned out.  You have to take them apart and clean out the inside.  I currently have two of the lightweight models - one for upstairs and one down.  Dysons - to me - are just too expensive and too cumbersome.  And I've never used a cordless that worked as well as corded.

@FranandZoe

I was very faithful with the maintenance and the filters.....

One model kept getting clogged and the others just didnt last.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The thing I hate about Sharks is that they're made to be disposable.  IMO they cost too much to just pitch if they malfunction.  They are not repairable, just replaceable.  I have both a Shark and a Dyson and you can feel the difference in quality without ever turning them on.

@Kachina624

I havent been impressed with Dyson and its real heavy too, and you are right about Shark they are lightweight and easy to manuvuer but they dont last long....I tried a Eureka Pet Pro and it lost suction and didnt last long either.....My sister is happy with her Hoover Pet (and someone else mentioned that one here on this thread)---maybe I will give that one a try......

I have to laugh - you sound like me. I have a Dyson, never use it anymore. Too heavy and cumbersome. Have a Eureka - in the attic. I changed the HEPA filter once a month but still would not pick up anything. Had a Shark but had given it to my parents because it was so lighweight. I don't think it lasted over a month with them.

I am so happy with my Hoover. It wasn't cheap but Hoover had a great sale one weekend. And it was half off. I got it for about $129.00. I wanted a good vacuum and I got it. It has to be 4 years old maybe more and it is still going strong.

Honored Contributor

Miele is a great vacuum with an adjustable suction.  However, it is quite expensive, several hundred dollars.

Last year we purchased a small Bissell for use on the stairs and the downstairs family room.  I'm amazed at the suction it has.  Best of all it was less than $100. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had a Hoover Widepath upright for over ten years and it is still going well.  Got it at Walmart for $70.00.

I recently hired a house cleaner and she used it and also used my older Eureka (sp.) upright first and she said the Hoover is much better.