Trusted Contributor

Re: Help me find a good quality non plush towel

I just got some Uchino towels, which are a very refined terry on one side and a waffle weave on the other side. They are half the thickness of my plush terries. A bit pricey, sold at department stores, but I watch for sales. 

Second option is the kind of cotton towels made in Turkey called peshtimal. I find them on Etsy but A... has them as well. Some are thicker than others, but all are flat weaves without terry loops. I like them for the beach and outdoor lounge chairs as well as in the bath.

Third option is 100% linen. Etsy is the source with the most options, but other upscale shops and catalogs have them as well. Plain weaves and waffles are available. The waffles wash up the thickest IMO. The linen will be fairly heavy for linen, if you know what I mean, and they are not everyone's cup of tea b/c they're not all that soft and definitely not fluffy. But they're quite absorbent and quick-drying.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG You are not going to believe this....but the absolute BEST towels are the cheap ones (only available in white, i think) at Sams Club. They are "institutional" or maybe intended for restaurants as tbey are often located in tge restaurant supply section. I, like you, do not like p!ushy towels. These are super absorbant and tbey dry your body well (fabric has just the right texture). Best part: they are very inexpensive! I love them.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@AuntG You are not going to believe this....but the absolute BEST towels are the cheap ones (only available in white, i think) at Sams Club. They are "institutional" or maybe intended for restaurants as tbey are often located in tge restaurant supply section. I, like you, do not like p!ushy towels. These are super absorbant and tbey dry your body well (fabric has just the right texture). Best part: they are very inexpensive! I love them.

Sounds like hospital towels. Not very appealing other than whatever is inexpensive.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

I love a nice plush towel my fav are Liz Claiborne Plush from JCP but spouse doesn't like them.

A couple months ago I had kohl’s ca$h didn't find anything so bought 2 Sonoma Bath towels and he loves them!!! Not thick and dry him (he's fussy).  I like they wash great I bleach as I buy white towels.

A9FF6DCD-AF0B-405B-81C4-75B093AAD30A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

@AuntG  I know exactly what you mean about not liking thick plush towels. Look at JCPenney--Quick Dri textured. I have it in Aqua and it is so pretty and dries so well. It also dries quickly in the dryer instead of taking forever like some of those really thick ones.

-----

I appreciate all the suggestions but I went with yours @Wiscfan3 . Mainly because I liked the aqua color and the bath towel is on sale for $5.19. Plus, we have their card and haven't used it in a year so thought I'd give JCPenney a try.

Trusted Contributor

I T A!  I buy my towels at Walmart and my wash cloths too.  I like thin, rough wash cloths.  My towels have lasted a good long time.  The wash cloths don't last as long but  are used for cleaning or dusting etc after I am done with them as a wash cloth.

Valued Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Maybe we are strange, but we don't like thick bath towels. Does anyone know of a good quality towel that absorbs, yet isn't considered plush.

I'd recommend the LL Bean organic textured towels. They are not think, but very absorbent and oversized. 

Esteemed Contributor

See that @AuntG , you're NOT strange and you're not alone.  Lots of us don't like thick, plush towels!!  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the HSN TSV turkish towels a few months ago and am very pleased with them. They are not plush but absorb the water, wash & dry well and look nice. They still have a variety in stock.  

Honored Contributor

@Fressa , I've decided to do more business with HSN so I'm going to look for another set. My neighbor says HSN is smaller but has better quality and prices. Have you found that true?