Respected Contributor

Re: Help choosing sofa color.

I would bring in color.  You can borrow fabric swatches from the furniture store, or go someplace like Joanns, and purchase some small cuts of different color fabrics.  Get the cheap stuff, since you are only using it for decision making.  It doesn't have to hold up!

If you don't want to do something bold, a royal or deep blue might be nice in the room.

Honored Contributor

Here are the questions I would be asking myself if replacing a sofa.

Pattern or no? How much pattern is in the rest of the room? Am I tired of having pattern in upholstery, or do I find it adds interest to the room? 

Color? What am I trying to achieve with the room. Do I want calm and serene, or do I like things lively? What colors am I working with already that will stay in the room, or am I willing to redo the whole room? Remember that a sofa is usually a large piece and the color will be magnified because of the size, so too dark or too bright will really stand out and may make the sofa the focal point of the room (and do you want it to do that).

I can tell you where I'm at right now. 

I don't believe in the whole 'pop of color' thing in home decor. I just don't need it, and maybe you don't either. I don't like bright, neonish, or very bold colors in home decor very well, so think about if you do or don't have strong feelings about those kinds of things, before deciding. 

Right now, I'm moving the main level of my home to creams, taupe, tan, ivory and brown accents. I like the nice neutral backdrop it provides of decorating for all seasons (fall, Christmas, winter, patriotic for summer etc.)

I had a sofa I loved for 25 of the almost 30 years I had it. Then one day, as I was decorating for Christmas, I noticed how my color palate really fought against Christmas decor, and I noticed it again the following fall when I got out the fall decor. 

I love to decorate for the seasons, and was so unhappy with especially my sofa and how it totally didn't accept fall and holiday colors so I began the switch to make my rooms more neutral, so I could use them as a canvas for any type of seasonal decor and it would look good. 

My main suggestion would be to think about more than the sofa, but the whole room (of course I see you are doing that for sure), and ask yourself what you really like, more so than what we see designers and HGtV tell us is 'the thing' to do. 

Respected Contributor

Would you consider a denim?  It would give some color and is very neutral to work with.

Pottery Barn makes a denim or even a white denim slipcover sofa.  Change your mind- change the slipcover.  I love mine!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

A solid color, neutral sofa. Dark or light.

Give it color with pillows and/ or throw blankets.

I went against popular opinion when I bought my sofa last fall. Chose a chocolate chenille fabric and I change out the pillow and blanket with the seasons. 

I did not want a light color sofa! Too precious. I have a dog and hopefully grandchildren in the future and it's the only sofa in my small space. A good choice.

Valued Contributor

I don't think your splash of color in a small cabin should be a sofa.  The cabin must have a great view, or fire place or something as a focal point.  I've always felt the sofa should be light neutral, your beige or gray, so as to dissapear, so that your paintings or other things you love can be shown off.  The square coushons is a great idea, and make sure the arms are small also so that they don't take up space in a small room.  Also consider a sofa that makes into a bed, if you want overnight visitors, or maybe you don't want over night visitors.  Any way, have fun!

Honored Contributor

Because the cabin is in the woods, I'd do a medium blue fabric and create a conversation area with an area rug, either hand woven, or a "rag rug" depending on how much color you want in there.  You could do other upholstery near the couch in a plaid with blue in the weave.

Are the walls flat or rounded logs which give a lot of texture.

There are many magazines right now at the grocery checkout that deal with "small or vacation" houses.  Flip through them and see what appeals to you.

Honored Contributor

@KKWA wrote:

I don't think your splash of color in a small cabin should be a sofa.  The cabin must have a great view, or fire place or something as a focal point.  I've always felt the sofa should be light neutral, your beige or gray, so as to dissapear, so that your paintings or other things you love can be shown off.  The square coushons is a great idea, and make sure the arms are small also so that they don't take up space in a small room.  Also consider a sofa that makes into a bed, if you want overnight visitors, or maybe you don't want over night visitors.  Any way, have fun!

Excellent point about the view, @KKWA 

I agree about the arms.  I'm a huge fan of sofa arms being small enough so that you can rest your head on one when you lie down.  Which, for me, means they should be rounded and not square.

@dex 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

If it were me, I'd go with a medium gray or brown and bring in a splash of color with toss pillows, a throw, other accessories (vase, lamp base, etc.) Your sofa can act as a canvas. You'd have the ability to change out the accessories and feel of the room any time you wanted. Chances are that you'd have the sofa for a few years, but accessories are less expensive to change and can give a room a fresh look. I also like the idea of the square cushions.

Honored Contributor

@dex  Maybe a lighter gray would work.  I tend to like lighter colors like off white and khaki because they brighten up the room but the lighter gray with some throw pillows would work.  You can always get ideas at Pottery Barn website for pillows on sofas or in their magazines.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Literally any color under the sun will go with what you describe. Neutals, bold, dark and light.  You do need some color in the room someplace though.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York