Super Contributor

Re: Help! How do you clean your hardwood floors?

I recently had hardwood floors installed throughout my downstairs. I love them!

I vacuum weekly with my Electrolux canister vacuum with the hard floor brush attachment. I also use the smaller brush attachment to get in corners and along baseboards. I've been spot-cleaning with Bona on a damp twist-style mop.

Super Contributor

We have laminate floors now but have been considering getting hardwoods. But the housecleaners use Bona on the floors and our feet are always black, even right after they've cleaned. My husband doesn't want carpeting. I wish there were a product that cleaned the floors better than Bona.
Honored Contributor

In the house we moved into 3 years ago has gorgeous new hardwood. I have all the Rejuvenate Products and they are incredible! But especially the spray and a Bona Mop. Makes the floors look brand new. I use the other Rejuvenate Products on occasion, as needed, not every time I clean. I use Tea on a regular basis. Love it!

The house we were in prior to this move had man-made wood, I forget what they call it. I found it extremely hard to clean and have look shiny and clean. That's how I found the Rejuvenate and it transformed the floors with the first cleaning.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Hardwood throughout my house; I don't like to use chemicals for environmental reason -- vinegar in water gets them squeaky clean. Plus it's cheap.

For daily maintenance I have dry swiffered for years or used old-fashioned dust mops, now that I have two little chihuahuas I purchased a Bissell Stick Vac (can't recall the model name but it is cyclonic, cordless and has a lift-off hand vac -- great value for $120) and it does a great job if used often for the pet hair and dust. The Bissell also is great on my area rugs and easier than lugging the full vacuum up from the basement.

If something is sticky a bit of rubbing alcohol lifts it off quickly and doesn't harm the poly finish.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 10/28/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 10/28/2014 GoodStuff said:

I use a lightweight vacuum to get "grit" off the floor and then clean with a spray cleaner made for hardwood/laminate floors and a flat-mop with a washable terry cover. Bona makes a good floor cleaner. I often use the Zep brand sold at Home Depot. You just spray an area of the floor witih cleaner, mop it with the flat-mop and move on to spray and mop another area till you've covered all your hardwoods. Obviously, you start in a corner and "back out" so you don't have to walk on just-cleaned areas while they're still damp.

I'm not familiar with the Fuller spray mentioned in another post, but don't ever use the kind of oily "dusting spray" you use on furniture! It will make your floors dangerously slippery!

The dusting spray does not leave my floors slippery. This is what my dad has used for years on his oak hardwoods. His floors look really good so I figured I would use what he does. I take the duster outside & shake out the dust & lightly spray. It picks up all the dust on the floors. I put it in the garage & let it dry while I clean house before cleaning the floors with it.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Fuller product; I'm glad it works for you. I made the thoughtless mistake of using regular "dusting spray" (the kind you use to dust and polish furniture -- Pledge or whatever brand) and a dust mop to quick-clean an area of my floor where some dust showed up. The floor was so slippery afterward that I slipped and almost took a nasty fall the next time I walked through. It was very slippery for a week or two afterwards!

I guess even though you can use the Fuller dusting spray on furniture it's different then Pledge. Makes since it would make floors slippery since when you sit in one of my dining room chairs you just slide right in. LOL!!! I was not sure what to use when we first had them installed. I asked my dad since of course he knows everything! He told me he has been using the Fuller duster & spray for years. You know what they say Father Knows Best. Even at 56 I still ask dear old dad for advice. We have about a box of leftover flooring so I took a piece & used the products on it before I used it on the floor. Wanted to make sure it was not going to make it look shiny. Our floors have a matte finish or low gloss. Not really matte just not shiny. They still look like they did when they were installed. Wished we had installed them long ago.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 10/28/2014 Luv_My_Beagle said:

I didn't see the question about where to buy Bona, thanks for answering Krimpette.

Yes, Bona can be found in B&M stores. I first saw it at Khols of all places and purchased it there, but don't think they carry it any longer We have purchased at either Lowes or Home Depot and I believe Ace Hardware. So several places carry it.

Bona has sort of a stick "mop" apllicator with 2 different pads you can attach. One pad is for cleaning and the other is for sort of buffing or polishing, IIRC. They are machine washable.

Our home is older and the HW floors are original, but they still look good. Although I've not tried a lot of different products, Bona has given us the best results.

Hi Smile...I was the one asking about where I could find Bona, Krimpette said to look at BB&B, I didn't realize it was a kit with the mop. I already have a really good mop with pads that are machine washable...I'm hoping I can buy just the cleaner.

Yes the cleaner is sold separately. Just make sure you buy the right product. I know they have one for hardwoods & one for laminates & also have other floor products. Not sure which one you need since I don't use it. When I looked it up online I read a few posts someone used the wrong Bona product & dulled their floors.

Super Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 10/28/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 10/28/2014 Luv_My_Beagle said:

I didn't see the question about where to buy Bona, thanks for answering Krimpette.

Yes, Bona can be found in B&M stores. I first saw it at Khols of all places and purchased it there, but don't think they carry it any longer We have purchased at either Lowes or Home Depot and I believe Ace Hardware. So several places carry it.

Bona has sort of a stick "mop" apllicator with 2 different pads you can attach. One pad is for cleaning and the other is for sort of buffing or polishing, IIRC. They are machine washable.

Our home is older and the HW floors are original, but they still look good. Although I've not tried a lot of different products, Bona has given us the best results.

Hi Smile...I was the one asking about where I could find Bona, Krimpette said to look at BB&B, I didn't realize it was a kit with the mop. I already have a really good mop with pads that are machine washable...I'm hoping I can buy just the cleaner.

Yes the cleaner is sold separately. Just make sure you buy the right product. I know they have one for hardwoods & one for laminates & also have other floor products. Not sure which one you need since I don't use it. When I looked it up online I read a few posts someone used the wrong Bona product & dulled their floors.

Yes Bona has 2 different cleaners One for hardwood only and the other for Stone, tile & laminate.
Regular Contributor

Have cherry hardwood and the installers told us to use water or water and vinegar. I use a microfiber pad mop. Have two goldens who track in mud, etc and do the floor a couple of times a week. Also use the central vac and a rubber broom almost daily.