Respected Contributor

Re: Help! How do you clean your hardwood floors?

Welcome to the world of constantly cleaning HW floors!!!!

I use the O'cedar dual action flip mop for dry dusting daily . I also use the one side of the mop misted with vinegar water for damp mopping several times a week.

Once a week I steam clean with a Haan floor steamer (they make a mop head for HW). Haan is the ONLY steamer I found that does not make the floors wet. Never use Shark on HW floors heat is too inconsistent and can leave wet spots.

Super Contributor

I use Bona every week. Works great, smells good.

Respected Contributor

I swiffer vac everyday and can't for the life of me figure out how it is scratching your floor. I use the shark mop to steam the floors (with distilled water).
Trusted Contributor

I highly recommend Bruce Hardwood Fllor Cleaner. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. I vaccum the floors then you just spray Bruce in 4x4 areas and mop with a micro fiber mop( also at Lowes). It drys in no time,cleans beautifully and is so easy and fast to do.
Contributor

We just built a new home and have hardwood floors. Use my central vacuum to clean up anything that is on the floor. Then I use BONA and just love the product!! I was told not to use water or vinegar on hardwood. Been doing this for the last 7 months of living here and the wood looks like the day they installed it.

Valued Contributor

We have hardwood in all the living spaces and bedrooms. Our floors are older, but we use Bona, too. Works well for our floors!

Respected Contributor

I have white hardwood throughout my house. I was told by the professionals never to use water as it dulls the shine. I vacuum and spot clean with Minwax. My floors are many years old and look pretty good. It sounds like something is wrong if you have scratches so soon. I would call the guys that did your floors and have them see what is happened.

Valued Contributor

My installer said vinegar water and that's what I've used for almost 20 years. Floors look good.

Honored Contributor

Bona is available at my local BB&B. On my downstairs hardwoods (with urethane coating), I mostly use a damp microfiber mop. Periodically, I'll use Bona. I have a Mint robot cleaner that I run on my upstairs hardwoods. Periodically, I'll use the damp cloth on my Mint. But I don't get much traffic upstairs and I don't have pets.

To the OP: I'd be complaining loudly to the installer if your new floors scratched that easily.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your replies. It is much appreciated! I am going to call my installer in the morning about this issue.