Respected Contributor

Re: Help! How do you clean your hardwood floors?

To OP

Did you scratch the finish on the HW or actually scratch the wood?

What many people who buy HW do not understand (esp if they buy from HomeDepot/Lowes or lumber liquidators) there are MANY different types of finishes in addition to the different woods. That is why there is a HUGE $$$ differences in HW.

PLEASE do not blame the installer! You may have selected a varietal of wood or finish that is not approp. for the intended use.

Valued Contributor

I didn't see the question about where to buy Bona, thanks for answering Krimpette.

Yes, Bona can be found in B&M stores. I first saw it at Khols of all places and purchased it there, but don't think they carry it any longer We have purchased at either Lowes or Home Depot and I believe Ace Hardware. So several places carry it.

Bona has sort of a stick "mop" apllicator with 2 different pads you can attach. One pad is for cleaning and the other is for sort of buffing or polishing, IIRC. They are machine washable.

Our home is older and the HW floors are original, but they still look good. Although I've not tried a lot of different products, Bona has given us the best results.

Super Contributor

I haven engineered wood floors and the store owner recommended Bona to clean the floors when needed. I think Bona works well.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Your hardwood floors are like the canary in the mine. They tell you how dirty your house is. I never had an issue with carpets. You vacuumed once a week and forgot about it. Now that I live in a completely hardwood environment I am constantly seeing dust under furniture and when I wipe a water spot I see dirt on the rag. I hate hardwood floors and cannot wait to go back to carpeting when we move again soon.

Honored Contributor

We have engineered hardwoods. I use Fuller Brush dust mop & spray weekly. I use a damp microfiber mop to mop as needed. It's only the 2 of us so they stay pretty clean. They also recommended Bona when we had it installed. I figured any solution you use has to be full of water so what's wrong with just using water? Our floors have more of a matte finish. It's not dull looking just not real shiny. I hate shiny wood floors that show everything. Our floors are hand scraped walnut. I have talked to a few people that said the Bona left some black buildup on their hardwoods.

Trusted Contributor

I use a lightweight vacuum to get "grit" off the floor and then clean with a spray cleaner made for hardwood/laminate floors and a flat-mop with a washable terry cover. Bona makes a good floor cleaner. I often use the Zep brand sold at Home Depot. You just spray an area of the floor witih cleaner, mop it with the flat-mop and move on to spray and mop another area till you've covered all your hardwoods. Obviously, you start in a corner and "back out" so you don't have to walk on just-cleaned areas while they're still damp.

I'm not familiar with the Fuller spray mentioned in another post, but don't ever use the kind of oily "dusting spray" you use on furniture! It will make your floors dangerously slippery!

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 GoodStuff said:

I use a lightweight vacuum to get "grit" off the floor and then clean with a spray cleaner made for hardwood/laminate floors and a flat-mop with a washable terry cover. Bona makes a good floor cleaner. I often use the Zep brand sold at Home Depot. You just spray an area of the floor witih cleaner, mop it with the flat-mop and move on to spray and mop another area till you've covered all your hardwoods. Obviously, you start in a corner and "back out" so you don't have to walk on just-cleaned areas while they're still damp.

I'm not familiar with the Fuller spray mentioned in another post, but don't ever use the kind of oily "dusting spray" you use on furniture! It will make your floors dangerously slippery!

The dusting spray does not leave my floors slippery. This is what my dad has used for years on his oak hardwoods. His floors look really good so I figured I would use what he does. I take the duster outside & shake out the dust & lightly spray. It picks up all the dust on the floors. I put it in the garage & let it dry while I clean house before cleaning the floors with it.

Super Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Charming2 said:

I haven engineered wood floors and the store owner recommended Bona to clean the floors when needed. I think Bona works well.

I agree. I vacuum first then use a damp microfiber pad (Aslett's) and Bona for hard floors twice a month. BedBath&Beyond and sometimes a carpet store will have it but it must say for wood floors. There is another formula for laminate, ceramic vinyl, marble, granite and no mention of real wood.

Respected Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

I use Bona every week. Works great, smells good.

This.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 10/28/2014 GoodStuff said:

The dusting spray does not leave my floors slippery. This is what my dad has used for years on his oak hardwoods. His floors look really good so I figured I would use what he does. I take the duster outside & shake out the dust & lightly spray. It picks up all the dust on the floors. I put it in the garage & let it dry while I clean house before cleaning the floors with it.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Fuller product; I'm glad it works for you. I made the thoughtless mistake of using regular "dusting spray" (the kind you use to dust and polish furniture -- Pledge or whatever brand) and a dust mop to quick-clean an area of my floor where some dust showed up. The floor was so slippery afterward that I slipped and almost took a nasty fall the next time I walked through. It was very slippery for a week or two afterwards!