Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having a curtain dilemma

[ Edited ]

The floors have a hint of gray with brown. She is using red and blue as her accent colors. Is that nautical. I think my nephew had a blue shirt on in the picture there getting in canvas.  Right now she has red vases and red flameless candles on the fireplace. The rug is hear to stay so I hope it goes well with the picture.

CF9208D1-91BF-4132-996C-9DE8142E90B5.jpeg

@GingerPeachwrote:

The floor looks like tones of gray.  Is that right?

Does your mom want any particular theme, nautical, country, modern, cottage, or whatever any of those terms may mean to her?

Considering the colors of the picture that will be what seems to be the focus of the room, maybe blue isn't the answer?  

How does the fireplace itself fit in with the direction she wants to go?  Does it go better with blues and grays or better with the warmer colors of the picture?

Lots to think about, it seems.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday  If the color in the rug is ivory buy ivory sheers, if it's white buy white sheers.  The patterned curtains and rug together would make you dizzy.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I vote for a big picture of the beautiful dog over the fireplace and a family theme frame of pictures of everyone on another wall. Forgot the dog's name😪. Southern Bee

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBeewrote:

I vote for a big picture of the beautiful dog over the fireplace and a family theme frame of pictures of everyone on another wall. Forgot the dog's name😪. Southern Bee

Lol. Her name is Chloe. 

Esteemed Contributor

Tomorrow I will see if I can find the picture we are using above the fireplace. I think my dad has it on his computer. He is going to his friends shop tomorrow so they might be done.

Honored Contributor

If I were your interior decorator I would keep the rug and curtains as is.  (I am not a fan of plain curtains.)  The furniture and decorations you add to the room will balance out the rug and curtains and compliment rather than detract from each other.  JMO. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I definitely think this look can be pulled off, especially in a larger room. I wouldn't do the look in a tiny space, but in a larger space, I think it works......I love the patterns, and I also think that my sister has similar curtains in her living room, but in a different color.

I will have to check them out again next time I am over there. I really like that design! 

Respected Contributor

I like the mix. They are not matchy matchy because of the reverse of background colors. I am not seeing a huge difference in the white and ivory in the pictures. 

I am not a fan of plain ivory curtains. You said the window is huge and I think that would look very stark all in ivory.

Gray furniture with no pattern will look great with the royal blue.  Accents of red or yellow or lime green would be very pretty.

If you are dead set against the curtain pattern, consider burlap curtains. They are beautiful in a rustic room. Ballard Designs has them in traditional burlap color as well as a lighter, more ivory shade.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

I like the mix. They are not matchy matchy because of the reverse of background colors. I am not seeing a huge difference in the white and ivory in the pictures. 

I am not a fan of plain ivory curtains. You said the window is huge and I think that would look very stark all in ivory.

Gray furniture with no pattern will look great with the royal blue.  Accents of red or yellow or lime green would be very pretty.

If you are dead set against the curtain pattern, consider burlap curtains. They are beautiful in a rustic room. Ballard Designs has them in traditional burlap color as well as a lighter, more ivory shade.

Oh that’s cool you say that about red, yellows, and lime green. Because the picture going above the fire place has those colors. It’s a fall picture. So there are lots of reds oranges and greens.  I think my nephews even had blue shirts on.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the picture going above the fireplace. Funny my nephews are wearing blue. It’s getting made into a huge canvas. Something like 44 inches wide. It’s going to look so cute. Hopefully we will have it soon. 

My mom is starting to really like the curtains. I am beginning to think ivory might be to plain now. She is going to target and if they have ivory ones she is going to get them and see which ones she likes best.

AC47919C-B1F5-401E-8379-4DE2923BB270.jpeg