Honored Contributor

Re: Have you replaced your windows?

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Mominohio  Thank you so much for sharing your window shopping experience.  Your reasoning is sound, and it gives us solid decision making points.  Again, thank you.

As I do about all kinds of decisions we make, I prayed about this one.  (If this offends anyone, I advise you to skip this so you will not feel the need to criticize.)  I prayed for guidance to make the right choice.

Well, we went to a competitor's show room today, arriving at 1:45ish.  If you will believe it, the showroom was unexpectedly closed and we found a sign on the door that said they would return at 2:00.  We went next door for a late lunch, then came back around 2:30. The business was still locked and the interior lights were off.  The "2:00" sign was still on the door.  DH called and spoke with the corporate office about it, and was put on hold as they 'checked into it.'  After too many minutes holding, we hung up and left.  

I'm certainly neither superstitious nor looking for signs everywhere, but when God closes a door...

@IamMrsG

He'll hopefully lead you to the right window!!

If there is anything I have learned in my first half century (plus) it is that not all decisions have to be made on 'our' time frame, no matter how impatient we get to see things decided upon and done. 

Glad to know that there are others who seek wisdom and guidance, even for things that seem to be routine and not usually thought of as needing divine intervention. Everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know why, we just have to be aware enough to see it. 

I hope your window journey has answers for you soon. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

Respected Contributor

I got estimates from Anderson, another national chain and a locally owned company in my community. Went with the locally owned company as I prefer to support small businesses. Fabulous all the way around. The owner and the crew were hands on and we had a minor issue with one window and the owner came back in 2 days and fixed it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please excuse my delay in responding to all your answers to my question.  I appreciate so much to be able to ask a question,  fling it out to spaces unknown and have so many people step forward to offer assistance.  Thank you, All.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, but DH and I signed the Renewal by Andersen contract for new windows today--on Friday the 13th, no less. Woman Surprised 

Edited To Add: Why can't I see a typo before I click "Post?"

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Just a general note about efficiency. An older single pane window when combined with a storm window will often be more energy efficient than a modern dual pane window due to the larger dead air space between the two windows. That's assuming the windows are weatherstripped and installed properly. There's also no seal to fail requiring the replacement of a sash.

I will also add that $2000 a window seems wildly exorbitant unless none of the windows are stock size and you want a highly custom finish of some sort. Stock size vinyl windows start at about $100 retail and even a higher end custom window will retail for $500 or so. Granted if it's an older house with lead paint that has to be dealt with on each window then the price will skyrocket, but even then $2000 per window seems excessive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The cost per window probably varies with your geographic location.  I wouldn't expect anything less than a couple of thousand dollars per window where I live.  The cost of the window itself is only the beginning of a job, and the job ends eventually with workers being paid a prevailing wage and someone bearing the cost of disposing the resulting construction debris in an environmentally correct and legally safe way, also again depending on rules of the jurisdiction. 

As for storm windows working better than double-pane windows, I can't even describe the huge difference in insulation--not to mention sound-proofing and protection from harmful sunlight rays--that we now have since switching to double-pane.  It's hard in an older home to have a well-sealed and insulated storm window situation.  Our old ones were very drafty in cold weather months.

Mrs. G, I think you will like your new windows!  And remember that installing new windows probably qualifies as a "capital improvement" which can be deducted from the cost basis of your home when and if you have to pay the IRS a capital gains tax on  profit you might realize on the sale of your home.  Keep your paid invoice in your files.

Respected Contributor

I thought I should come back to this thread to report the end result.  The installation phase of the job was finished yesterday, staining the wood to match the rest of the house is scheduled for later in the month.

It was a two day job, 7 hours each day, and Renewal by Andersen sent a three man crew on Day 1.  Day 2 had a four man crew, the fourth man being a master carpenter who made three custom window trims on site.  I call him a master carpenter, not because of his credentials, but based on the quality of the job he did for us.   An arched window in a guest bedroom is so beautiful I wish it were in the living room. 

Of course, it's too soon to say whether the windows are good or not.  I can say, though, without hesitancy that the house feels more solid somehow and it certainly is more quiet.  The work crew had a radio playing on high volume just outside my kitchen, and I didn't know it until I stepped out onto the deck.  

I want to thank you all again for your answers, pro and con, to my post. Every response was considered by my DH and me in making our decision.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just almost had a heart attack from the estimate on 4 single window 37" wide x 63L standard window and 1 1/2 moon style and 1 above front door rectangular window.  Total cost $5,926.39 not including county permits!!!

First I'm shocked because the stipulations imposed by the local county criteria as "impact only glass", i.e., additional cost of 33% each window. 

Of course the estimator told us because it's a attached villa there are also more stipulations imposed by our local code enforcement. 

The window above the front door is 36w x 15"H = 789.33 are they insane!!!!  

In 2014 my friend had her entire single family home (17 Windows w/1 1/2 moon style window BEFORE new county codes and FL codes changed for $8,210) exact same window we selected.

Needless to say -- I'm researching more affordable companies in the Tampa area.  I just am shocked and these windows are no name brand either.

Part 2 - wanted to have glass insert put into my standard front door (panel) -- Omg that was $845 to put panel in the door.

image.jpeg

Im still in shock what windows cost! I'm looking forward to seeing the other estimates I'm thinking of doing all the windows at this point may get better pricing!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Totally agree with you how the replacement windows are smaller then my original Anderson windows. We replaced our windows using a private contractor he used a different brand then Anderson and I have to say we don't hear any noise or sound from out side with these windows. They have made this home so sound proof that it actually sometimes gets on my nerves it is so quiet in here. Used to be be we could hear the different fire station whistles from our area have not heard one of them since these windows were installed. I have one more window to replace and it is a big Anderson bay window. I am actually on my third replacement for that Anderson window but I don't want the window to be smaller. Every time we replaced that window we would take the entire window out and slide another one in with out any problems. I know I am not using the Anderson Renewal one my daughter put them in her home and is not happy with the results.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

nm

Honored Contributor

The outside noise is one of the reasons we want to replace our windows. We live right next to the hospital and the YMCA so there is a busy street and , of course, ambulances and sirens.