Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you replaced your windows?

We had several windows in our house replaced by a regional California company. The brand we picked is Anlin, also made in California.

We LOVE them! They are well made, easy to open, close and lock, and keep the indoor temperature pretty even throughout the year.

And believe it or not, we found this company because the salesguy was trolling the neighborhood one evening, I happened to be home, and we happened to be in the need for windows. Of course I checked the company out before going with them.

So I recommend that you check out the local companies too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We replaced the windows in our Pittsburgh home in 2001 - we went with Great Lakes Window Co - an employee owned co. WE went from aluminum frames (awful) to vinyl which were wonderful. It was money very well spent. We would like to replace the builder grade windows in our current home soon as they are very cheap. We would most likely install hurricane proof ones here. when we replaced those windows in our first home we got ones that flip over so you can clean the outside from inside the house - best idea ever.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We replaced the windows in our Pittsburgh home in 2001 - we went with Great Lakes Window Co - an employee owned co. WE went from aluminum frames (awful) to vinyl which were wonderful. It was money very well spent. We would like to replace the builder grade windows in our current home soon as they are very cheap. We would most likely install hurricane proof ones here. when we replaced those windows in our first home we got ones that flip over so you can clean the outside from inside the house - best idea ever.

We used Great Lakes windows for a sliding glass door and a kitchen window replacement about a decade ago (or maybe a little more now), and while the quality seemed good, both installs have since failed. The argon gas leaked out of both, and when that happens, the window clouds completely over and is not only energy inefficient but terribly unsightly and hard to see out of.

Great Lakes is good about sending replacement sashes for free, but you have to figure out how to install them or pay a company to do so. We simply replaced with another brand, as the cost wasn't that much more than dealing with finding someone who would help out with the replacements. The original installing company has since gone out of business.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

From our experience in this part of the country, I can tell you that if you are 50 or older, and remember all the old names of really high quality and reputable companies (Pella, Anderson and others), disregard your remembrances of the past.

Most of the names that were once synonymous with quality are no longer that.

We replaced all but our large picture window (a total of 13 windows) and found that more local companies were rated much higher. We stayed away from the Lowes and Home Depot type places, and went with places that manufacture in this area, have their own crews of installers (not contracted out), offered good warranties and lots of contacts (and local ones) for references. We settled on one such company and have been very happy with their work. Many people might think that without that national name recoginition, they can't be good, but there are several in our part of the state that really are.

For us, the house wasn't worth top of the line, best in the business kind of windows, and we put in tilt in vinyl for easy cleaning on the upper level especially. If I lived in one of the historic houses I grew up in, I'd have been more particular about the kind/style/composition of window, and I'm sure the cost would have been much more. So know in advance just how much window you really need or want to spend on, then take a look at more local manufacturers/installers in your area before you make a final decision.

@Mominohio  Thank you, you give several valid points to consider.  We are seniors, DH is in not-so-good health, and we've already put a small fortune into this house.  We're really questioning the wisdom of spending $25K more for windows. 

P.S.  Can I ask which company you chose?  And, if you do not mind naming them, would you go with them again? 

@IamMrsG

The company we used is out of Mansfield Ohio, The Window Place. The brand of window we installed is Joyce Windows, manufactured in Ohio. They have several lines and qualities, and we chose the Heritage line (I think that is what it was called). We had to do the job over a period of time, about half of the windows at one time, then the rest a year or two later (because of cost, we were wanting to pay cash and pay as we went with this project). I would definitely use this company again. Oh, and we have an attached garage, unheated, that we wanted  cheaper replacement windows for,  and they were able to save us about $100 per window for those, but they matched in look enough that you absolutely cannot tell them from the others in the house by looking.

We installed a total of 15 windows and the total cost for product and labor came in just under $7000. So depending on the market where you live, a good quality replacement window job for an entire house doesn't have to warrant a second mortgage.

I tried to go with Rosati Windows out of Columbus, but we were just a few miles outside of the area that they were willing to travel for work. Too bad, because we did the entire house, plus a sliding door. It really would have been worth their time to consider the job. They manufacture and install their own windows, and I was really interested in looking at their product, but it wasn't an option.

Our house was built in 1973, and quiet frankly, we have about rebuilt the thing. I never really cared for the style or age of the home (I'm an old house girl, before 1920 suits me best), but bought because of location. We really didn't want to put the very best, top of the line product in here, but wanted lasting quality. The house just doesn't warrant the very best, and being in our 50's, we attempted to buy good enough to last the years we plan on being here, but not what one would do for a better quality house. Our old windows were wood, totally rotted and repaired so many times they were beyond repair, and we had to make a move on something. We are so far, after three years, happy with what we chose.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We used Great Lakes windows for a sliding glass door and a kitchen window replacement about a decade ago (or maybe a little more now), and while the quality seemed good, both installs have since failed. The argon gas leaked out of both, and when that happens, the window clouds completely over and is not only energy inefficient but terribly unsightly and hard to see out of.

Great Lakes is good about sending replacement sashes for free, but you have to figure out how to install them or pay a company to do so. We simply replaced with another brand, as the cost wasn't that much more than dealing with finding someone who would help out with the replacements. The original installing company has since gone out of business.

We had our  Great Lakes Windows for 9 years when we sold the house and they were all still in perfect condition. Maybe it depends on the company that installed them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We had our  Great Lakes Windows for 9 years when we sold the house and they were all still in perfect condition. Maybe it depends on the company that installed them.

I agree. The company that installed turned out to be quite a mess, and baled out on a lot of customers when the went out of business. I never thought the installation of the one window was done right, as after about a year it would not lock, no matter what I did. The fact is that windows with argon inside are subject to failing, and will given enough time. The actual Great Lakes window company is great to deal with and their warranty stands strong, but the installation company we used was a definite mistake.

And so as not to confuse anyone, this comment is not in connection with the long one I made about the company that recently did all our windows. That company has been great. The Great Lakes window and sliding glass door were installed a decade or more ago, and failed so we repaced with Joyce installed by The Window Place not only those two, but the entire house, and are so far happy with the products and service.

Esteemed Contributor

We purchased Pella for our home and love them. I can see the savings in our enery bills every month.  I love the look of them and the ease to clean or use the screens. I reserach a purchase forever before we actually buy and I found mixed or awful reviews on the Marvin, TherrmoTtwin and other brands. Anderson was our second choice but our neighbors had a bad experience the year prior so that swayed us to Pella. 

Our installation seemd to go smoothly compared to some of my friends who had replaced their windows in the years prior to us. I had no issues with drafts or frames not sealing and I have huge windows.  My only issue was with the color of the stain for the windows on the lower level. They were a shade darker than I had selected but still within an accpetable range for us.

My friend is always replacing windows in her Mom's home and has had issues with the windows being too heavy for the frame. I think the salesperson took advantage of them and sold them windows that didn't fit the house correctly.

I spend quite a bit of time checking reviews and the company's reputation thru the BBB. Some times you can have a decent product but a shoddy crew. Check your guarantee carefully.

I won't have anything else but Pella for our needs.

Honored Contributor

I would have loved Pella windows but they were not in our budget for the job. As it turns out - the windows we chose had etching instead of muttons to make it look like panes and the people who bought the house absolutely loved those  etched windows. I think they really sold them on the house.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  Thank you so much for sharing your window shopping experience.  Your reasoning is sound, and it gives us solid decision making points.  Again, thank you.

As I do about all kinds of decisions we make, I prayed about this one.  (If this offends anyone, I advise you to skip this so you will not feel the need to criticize.)  I prayed for guidance to make the right choice.

Well, we went to a competitor's show room today, arriving at 1:45ish.  If you will believe it, the showroom was unexpectedly closed and we found a sign on the door that said they would return at 2:00.  We went next door for a late lunch, then came back around 2:30. The business was still locked and the interior lights were off.  The "2:00" sign was still on the door.  DH called and spoke with the corporate office about it, and was put on hold as they 'checked into it.'  After too many minutes holding, we hung up and left.  

I'm certainly neither superstitious nor looking for signs everywhere, but when God closes a door...

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG

It might not be unusual for a window dealer to open its showroom "by appointment" or only keep it open all day on weekends, when there is adequate walk-in traffic to justify it.

Marvin Windows opened a store near me, and I believe it stays closed on most weekdays.  I'm sure someone would be glad to open the door if a meeting is scheduled in advance, though.  Windows very often are sold by appointment in a buyer's home.  I had one company bring samples of their window styles and show them off right  in my dining room.

I did visit the showrooms of Pella and Renewal by Anderson.