Respected Contributor

Re: Have you kept any “memorabilia” from your childhood?

I have photographs and a few letters from my life beginning with childhood.  I went through everything and sorted it a few years ago.  Now, everything fits into three small archival boxes.  My mother has a number of photographs that I will add to my collection once she leaves this earth.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@timeless   How wonderful that you still have your Raggedy Ann. Perhaps a neice or hrand child might like it.

In the early 70's, I made 2 foot tall Raggedy Anne and Raggedy

Andy dolls and all their clothing, for my son and daughter.

They are now in their fifties and still have those dolls. My son's

doll was not played with much and it was passed on to his son,

as a young child.

My daughter's doll was well loved and a couple of years ago, I

re-embroidered her worn face. I washed the doll and washed and ironed her clothes. I had to replace the stretched out elastic

on her dress sleeves and her pantaloons.

My daughter is so happy with her dolls makeover. She takes her out and shows her to her young grand daughters.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately my parents house had a burglary and they emptied  the drawers with all my pictures and mementos into pillow cases and they were never found. I don't know why they took those things..they were of no value to anyone other than me.

I am still so angry and this was 40 years ago.

Regular Contributor

Great question. Been working on shedding this stuff for the past 1.5 years.

In the process of digitizing the things that matter to me -- concert tickets, a couple of pages of my baby book, all of the family photos -- and then most of those physical items will go. Yearbooks have already gone.

Other than that, a teddy bear given to me by an older sibling when I was born. (This bear even finds itself in my "go" bag when bad weather is approaching, in case evacuation is necessary.) Also, a set of about 10 paperback books I read when I was nine years old from a beloved author. These books have made it through seven moves all over the country.

Feels lighter -- I hardly ever looked at these childhood items, and I feel better knowing my nieces and nephews will have less to deal with. Very worried about placing a burden upon them.

Respected Contributor

I have 45's with lists that the radio station printed out with top songs on chart for the week. Gosh, I remember going to record stores!

Esteemed Contributor

I still have all my Barbies and everything associated with them (car, camper, house, etc.) up in the attic at my mom's house.  After my dad passed away, my mom went through pictures and photo albums and gave my brother and I most of them.  I have my baby book too.  The only other thing I can think of would be a 5 or 6 inch Cinderella figurine that came with a watch that I received for Christmas one year (remember those?).  I'm sure I have a few other things but that's all I can think of.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

I have a Mrs.Beasley doll, complete with the glasses....I got rid of my Bobby Sherman lunch box years ago...Wish I still had it!

Trusted Contributor

At the mention of Barbie dolls, I remembered that I still have my pink Barbie watch from 1964!  I loved that watch, the face is all scratched and the watch band is worn out.  

My parents got rid of all my Barbie dolls, Ken, Midge, Scooter, Skipper, the car, the house, handmade clothes when they moved across the country after I graduated from college.  I had the original dolls plus the Barbie with the bendable knees.  Didn't tell me, they were just gone.  Same with my Mad magazines, lol.

Trusted Contributor

I still have my silver baby bangle bracelet.. I was told my godmother bought it for me. It's in the original box and came in a velvet pouch. I was going to have something made from it, but my jeweler told me it would disrupt the integrity of it so I wear it on a long chain. ( it's only 2 inches across.)
Esteemed Contributor

I was born in middle of WWII so there werent many toys. I do still have my original teddy and several rag dolls my Grandmother made. I also have some jewelry ( A gold St.Christopher's medal, a heavy gold bracelet that my Mother gave to me) and a collectable costumed French doll that I got for Christmas in 1959 ( just had aged out of regular dolls so no first Barbie).