Respected Contributor

Re: Have you gotten into adult coloring books?

I never really got into coloring books as a child. Not my area.

Honored Contributor

I've been into adult coloring books for several months now.  I found I much prefer markers/gel pens to colored pencils, as I like the more intense colors.  My favorites are the intricate patterns of mandelas and paisleys, though I color other styles as well.  It's such a relaxing hobby.  I've framed a couple of my completed pages that I really liked.  I must have at least 2 dozen coloring books, as well as many sets of pens and markers by now.  A great hobby!  I've interested a couple of my friends to this hobby and all seem to be enjoying it, too!!!!

Super Contributor

I second the app idea!

For android devices, I recommend 'Mandala Coloring Pages', but there are lots of others.  Lots of choices, themes and you can save your results or revise or delete.  You can enlarge your page to work on small, intricatel sections of the design.  I use a stylus for coloring.  You can choose ready made colors - like picking a marker or pencil - or create colors easily.

I started out doing these while watching mindless tv shows, but found I got absorbed by the coloring and stopped following the show!  Fun and relaxing Smiley Happy

mandala005.png

Honored Contributor

The adult coloring book phenomenom is strange to me.  What's next - adults playing with blocks?  However, if you want to color, why not do it electronically - some of the options have already been discussed.  It's less expensive than buying printed books and crayons, markers, or whatever.

Esteemed Contributor

@alleycatnumber1 wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

Adult coloring books?  Is that like x-rated pictures that you color in??  Is this for real?  I'm so confused and a little disturbed.

Get UNconfused and UNdisturbed. Get your mind out of the sewer! There always has to be one in the bunch.

The first time I read of adult coloring books that is where my mind went, too.  Just being honest.  My mind doesn't stay in the gutter either.  @PeterDM has given us quite a few laughs here, not to mention his inspiring home decorating input.  

Honored Contributor

>^..^<    I won't allow my mama that much time to ignore ME

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think I will just stick with reading when I have some spare time.

Honored Contributor

I love the variety of designs.  Having taught Interior Design, I SO wish they had been around for learning the color harmonies!

Contributor

I have more than a dozen books but have not explored too many pencils or markers yet. I have Crayola pencils and a small set of Staedler Tri Plus markers. Can anyone recommend any other pencils, markers, or pens that work well? I am just beginning this hobby and looking forward to it. I find myself immersed in my ipad every evening and thought this would be a good way to unplug. I do love the Colorfy app as well.

Valued Contributor

I see this as a form of meditation, which has been proven to be very beneficial to the human psyche.  I always loved coloring as a child, so maybe I'll give it a try as an adult, & see if it doesn't help create a sense of calm.  Goodness knows, I need that!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo