Honored Contributor

Have you ever used a fire extinquisher?

I've never used one and I wonder if I would know how it operates.  Or how hard it is to operate.

It's scary to think you may need one, and have one, but don't know what the heck to do with it.

I have to buy new ones and that's what got me thinking about it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever used a fire extinquisher?

First responders are taught the acronym PASS.....Pull the ring, Aim the extinquisher at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle, and Sweep from left to right at the base of the fire.  Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

I've never actually HAD to use one. But I did use one in training at a job I had.  We had fire drills and were shown how to use them. 

Hope you never have to use one in a real situation. It's good to know how.

Trusted Contributor

I also want to add that when we had the Firemen came to check our extinguisher at work one day that said that they only work for about   20 seconds.

Honored Contributor

One place I worked required us to actually go outside as a group and we each got to use one, just to see how it would feel and know what to do if we needed to use one. I thought that was some of the best safety training they could do. Nothing like hands on learning.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

First responders are taught the acronym PASS.....Pull the ring, Aim the extinquisher at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle, and Sweep from left to right at the base of the fire.  Hope this helps!

That is helpful.  I may post that inside the door under my kitchen sink.  If I keep seeing it, it will sink in.

Respected Contributor

You're welcome. It is just basic, but basic works when you are panicking.
Super Contributor

Years ago I came across a small grass fire in a median strip and, as I had a fire extinguisher in my car, I put the fire out.  Now I have two fire extinguishers situated outdoors in the front of the house and two in the back due to living in the country with trees and brush.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every hospital employee is inserviced yearly on how to use a fire extinguisher.   Over the course of 27 years, I PASS-ed and RACE-ed; pulled, aimed, squeezed and swept, and rescued, alarmed, contained and extinguished, more times than I care to remember.   

Our house has 5 extinguishers.

Honored Contributor

yes sadly when I was 13 years old! My father had fire drills with us kids once a month (I think he worried living in the country with no close fire stations at the time) we had to be prepared.

My mother put a pan of oil on the stove -- got sidetracked -- I came in the kitchen the stove, curtains were engulfed. We had a large fully charged extinguisher in our kitchen pantry area. I grabbed it and put the fire out before more damage. Of course, fire dept was called.

i have a fire extinguishers in my pantry area. Thank goodness I never have used it!