Respected Contributor

I used to have many decorations for all Seasons. Did a big clean out this past winter. Kept enough for the seasons. Now I go to the store any store and see things I like. When I think about dusting them I put them back. There may be one or two that I will buy for each season. Nothing expensive. Sunday I bought a pumpkin. That’s one.

Honored Contributor
ROFL, that's what I've been saying for the past few years on this board.
Plus, it's just too cluttered. Sure it looks great, but we would still have to actually "live" in all that clutter.
I love the way VPH decorates the set, but it is a set, not a home. I do get ideas from her, and sometimes, I go overboard with buying, but then I have to go through and donate, donate, donate, and that becomes a waste of money, although I do like getting some new things, then out with the old, so it's not all "bad", lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Mominohio

Yup!

It used to annoy me no end when my mother used to always carp about not wanting things out that she needed to dust but, while I understand and understood it to a certain extent, I think that having things that you love makes it worth the trouble it takes to clean them.

I'm not saying go full-blown VPH or whatever style is similar, just that however many pieces one loves are worth the time depending on one's own particular situation.  

Although, on the other hand, I do think they overfill the display areas when selling just so we are more and more tempted with all the eye candy.  And we know how we kids are with candy!

Image result for chocolate candy holiday

I agree! I love to clean and keep up my home and my things for sure. Always have, and I hope I always will. 

It's just getting kind of over the top with the fall and mostly the Christmas decorating. I love the look, but honestly I see the time nearing where I will be doing significantly less. Kind of sad about it and kind of excited about it at the same time!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

My mom did Christmas that would rival VPH.

All of the ornaments were Christopher Radko.

There was not one open spot left on the tree.

Another smaller tree was all Boyd's bears.

These ornaments are all in the basement at my dads ( mom has passed).

Thinking about caring for and using these ornaments literally keeps me awake some nights.

My tree is much less fancy.

I love a Radko tree. I have several of his ornaments from back in the day when he was on here, and they are among my favorites. 

@Chicagosuburbangirl

Honored Contributor

I dislike clutter now. Used to have alot of stuff but dont like so much now. Makes it alot easier to clean too. I have gotten rid of so much including Holiday decorations.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you discovered

[ Edited ]

A tip from my housekeeper that makes dusting faster and easier - put things on trays. For instance in our master bath I have a tray with my toothbrush , deodorant, powder, my razor, my moisturizer etc etc. DH has one with his water pick, his toiothbrush, deodorant and etc on it. When she cleans the counter she just has to slide the tray, not move every object. I have one on my vanity top too, with everything that is too large to go in the vanity. It helps her clean much more efficiently.Every once in a while, when I have some time , I take everything off the trays and toss them in the dishwasher, and that's all the attention they need. In my bathtub and in DH shower we each have a plastic basket that holds our stuff like shampoo, my bath oils - what ever you use in the tub or shower.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you discovered

[ Edited ]

I have always (EDIT:  SHOULD HAVE BEEN "DISLIKED)liked clutter, and seasonal decorating at my house has always been slim and none!  I'll put out some pumpkins and fall colored candles, maybe some placemats or a tablecloth in a fall color other than orange or rust and that's about it for me. 

Christmas is not so much either, although we have a HUGE tree hubby likes.

Edit: Sorry my brain and my fingers aren't always on the same path!