Honored Contributor

that to decorate like a Valerie Parr Hill set, makes cleaning a massive undertaking?

This post is NOT meant to disparage any level or type of decorating. 

But after years of watching VPH and her beautiful sets (I love to watch even when I don't care for any one thing enough to purchase, just to see the atmosphere she creates) and then creating the same kinds of looks in my home in seasonal decor (lots of layering), I'm realizing how much time I have to invest to clean during the season, all those things that are out on display.

I guess I always knew it, and it didn't used to bother me so much (younger with better knees and more energy back then!!!LOL) to have the extra work. But the older I get, even though I might like a really heavily packed dining centerpiece vignette or mantel, I'm less inclined to want to move it all repeatedly during the season to clean under and around it. 

So the quantity of decor has become about more than the work to put up and take down now, but the storage space occupied, and most recently, the work of cleaning under and around it while it is on display. 

I'm guessing this is part of the fascination with the 'great big' line of decor popular everywhere, as bigger statement pieces and less little stuff should make for easier work all around. 

So if you have done the layered and heavy VPH style decorating in the past, are you beginning to consider change based on any of these factors, especially the cleaning during the time it is on display?

Trusted Contributor

If I ever decorated my home to the extent VPH decorates QVC's sets, I'd open my home for tours and charge for admission.  LOL.  

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

If I ever decorated my home to the extent VPH decorates QVC's sets, I'd open my home for tours and charge for admission.  LOL.  

@Jaspersmom

Not a bad idea! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio,

The point of your post is exactly why I don’t like stuff displayed on my furniture.   When everything is bare, it is much easier to run the duster across the surface and move on.   I never spend more than 5 minutes dusting furniture in any room in my house.   

Trusted Contributor

I once remarked in a thread last year that contained the excited anticipation of one of Valerie's visits - "Boy, you ladies must love to dust!"  Also, the fact that I was amazed that so many were interested in displaying so much.

Now you get what I was thinking and posting about.

Honored Contributor

Cleaning is the major reason I dont have tons stuff sitting out in my house.  Plus for me I dont like the cluttered looked.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you discovered

[ Edited ]

Yes, these decorations are ”over the top.”  I would expected to see something like this if I stayed at a very expensive hotel or B+B during the holidays.  When your home has many permanent decorations on display, everything has to get packed away first.  Then hauling out decor.  I take pictures of where things go I already have so much stuff.  Do not need any more!  I have an arrangement of churches in the snow on my kitchen table, with a tiny picket fence behind.  It somewhat helps a bit, as it is a major attraction for kitty.  We do have a waist-sized iron gate so she can’t ever get into the living room.  A big, two little story village set up on our fireplace hearth.  She’d really have fun with that one!  Hey, she has 

fun with the family room, and kitty beds all over the place.

How crazy is all this?  

I saw a picture in a book of such a cute decoration for Halloween that I have copied.  Just set a big witches hat on a smaller chair for display.  Simple, inexpensive, and next to zero work.

Honored Contributor

On yes, I think about that all the time when tempted to buy more decorating items. I'd like to do a seasonal tree that another poster mentioned (autumn, Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas) but I think about the cost of the various ornaments and the storage space needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you discovered

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

I used to decorate like that, but no more.

When we built our Victorian home, I had tons of seasonal decor.

Between the need for storage, hauling in up and down stairs, etc., it got to be more of a burden than fun.  It was like having a second job!

For years now, I've been cycling it out -- donating it mostly.  Amazingly, I still have what seems like "too much stuff."

Now, by the time I think to get it out, the season has already changed Cat LOL  For the last few years, my Christmas tree has been a 2 ft tall tree that remains decorated when I store it.  Easy!

However, since my birthday is Halloween, I do make an effort to decorate my fireplace mantels and a few tables.

I love seeing a beautifully decorated home, but I also know how much work it is, and then, of course, as you point out -- the cleaning becomes a real headache.

Respected Contributor

In my previous home, I did have a lot of stuff.  It was decorated in the country style and at the time I thought it looked very nice.  I look back and how I ever liked that clutter, I'll never know.  Now, different house, less is more.  It's easier to clean in my old age and I do like the un-cluttered look at this stage of my life.  I still like to look at different decorating styles but I don't want them.