Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Had A Large Photo Print on Canvas Made?

I want to get a large print made from a photo on canvas.  It would be about 30 inches at least.  I have raw images from Nikon cameras so they will print BIG!

Have you used a company you have used that was good quality.

Valued Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had A Large Photo Print on Canvas Made?

@Sooner wrote:

I want to get a large print made from a photo on canvas.  It would be about 30 inches at least.  I have raw images from Nikon cameras so they will print BIG!

Have you used a company you have used that was good quality.

My father did this with pictures of my grandparents (both sets).  They really turned out well.  I know he went through a company online and uploaded the pictures.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have.  It was a couple of years ago and I did it through Amazon.  It was a photo of our sweet golden retriever.  It cam out great!  Sorry I can't be more specific about the company.

Contributor

Yes, many times. I have a few bigger that 30 inches. 

Highly recommend MPIX, fantastic quality, and if you are not in a hurry they have sales often, 30-50% off. Just sign up for their newsletter Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

Yes, many times through Costco photo labs.  Great quality and satisfaction guaranteed.

Honored Contributor

THANK you all so much!  

@Hoovermom 

@FastDogWalker2 

@liliblu 

@toja 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner My GD gave me a print on canvas, large, 24x24 and it is great, very clear.  Don't know who she used, some co. she found on-line.  So yes, your 30x30 should turn out well.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

We did this with a photograph from our trip to California. We used Canvas Discount. We did everything online. Our print is 24" x 48". The cost was $99 plus tax/s&h (2 years ago). You can choose various sizes and options for how your photo is placed and printed on the canvas. For example, we chose an edge to edge print, but you can also select borders. They also sell hanging kits. We are very happy with our canvas print.

image.jpg

Contributor

@Sooner  I just got email from Mpix, they are having 30% off sale on Gallery Wraps/canvas. 

One more thing, I'm sure you are aware that you can't really print photos in RAW format. Maybe you could, but why? RAW is like an undevelopped film, and you have to "develop" them first in Lightroom or other software, and then change the format to either JPEG, TIFF or DNG. And make sure you have a high resolution, 300-400dpi is best for large images Smiley Happy

I usually resize my images to 8x12 and 400dpi. They print beautifully.

Honored Contributor

@toja wrote:

@Sooner  I just got email from Mpix, they are having 30% off sale on Gallery Wraps/canvas. 

One more thing, I'm sure you are aware that you can't really print photos in RAW format. Maybe you could, but why? RAW is like an undevelopped film, and you have to "develop" them first in Lightroom or other software, and then change the format to either JPEG, TIFF or DNG. And make sure you have a high resolution, 300-400dpi is best for large images Smiley Happy

I usually resize my images to 8x12 and 400dpi. They print beautifully.

RAW files are actually larger files that contain all of the recorded information from the original camera shot.  They are used for more extensive editing than you can do with the compressed file sizes.

They are the original that you can always go back to if you need to edit the picture further or differently down the road.  It's used in big graphic shops or for artists mostly.  No, more commercial places don't work with that format. I have worked with them but it's been a while!  Woman Embarassed  Nikon has apparently come a long way with in-camera software for raw files, but I haven't looked into that.  Thankfully!  LOL!!!