Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Bath Fitter?

Those little shelves don't hold that much and I've got one of those extending corner shelves that has 4 shelves for my bottles and things even though I have the built in  ones.  Things just fall off them.  As for the safety rail, get a proper rail installed for handicap usage that is metal.  They can just drill through the tile to install it.  It will be better than the plastic one as it is more sturdy and solid than if you put your weight on the surround and it is enough to work it loose over time and pop off with you falling with it.  You can have one handicap rail installed for getting out of the tub parallel to the tub and one on an angle.  There are many avaliable with shelves built into them as well.

Image result for handicap rails in tubs Image result for handicap rails in tubs

Image result for handicap rails in tubs

My parents also have them along side the toilet and have switched out the toilets for ones that sit higher/handicap toilets for as they age, they will need them better than the lower one that came with the house.  This is a good opportunity to change your toilet for one that is better as you age and update the rails so they can be used for assistance and hanging towels and things to dry.

Respected Contributor

Here is what I have in the corner of my fiberglass, one piece tub.

Bronze Wire Basket Bathroom Corner Shelf  It is around $35l.

Honored Contributor

I had WV Rebath update both of my harvest gold bathrooms by removing a fiberglass shower, and a one piece fiberglass tub surround.  Both pieces were set in place early in construction, and the house was built around them.   For the remodel they were sawed into pieces and taken out of the house.   I would never have considered a refinishing option, as I see that as a quick bandaid fix.   The base product in place is old, and whatever is done to the surface is not likely to hold up as long as you'd like it to.  I would choose to replace with something new and feel secure that the job was done for long term satisfaction.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll say one thing about safety rails.

I recently stayed in a hotel that had some of the most stunningly beautiful safety rails in the shower/tub/toilet area I've ever seen!

They were sleek, curved, thinner and had a lot of style. Every bit as strong and sturdy and they didn't look like they belonged in the hospital bathroom!

ETA: I found some of the styles I saw at greatgrabz dot com. I don't think we can post links any longer but these had great style and are ADA compliant.

Honored Contributor

A  good friend of ours bought a older home and some of the ceramic tiles were cracked so they tried to replace them but could not find them. They had to replace them with unmatched ones then they had a company come in and spray a glaze over them that looks exactly like porcelain. It is beautiful.It looks all brand new, even though it was done about 10 years ago. They did the tub white so then replaced the vanity and the toilet with white and painted the room and it all looks like it was a total redo.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A  good friend of ours bought a older home and some of the ceramic tiles were cracked so they tried to replace them but could not find them. They had to replace them with unmatched ones then they had a company come in and spray a glaze over them that looks exactly like porcelain. It is beautiful.It looks all brand new, even though it was done about 10 years ago. They did the tub white so then replaced the vanity and the toilet with white and painted the room and it all looks like it was a total redo.

Yes, the glazes that I saw on YouTube looked very good.  I don't need to do the tike but the glazed tub looked brand new and i s expected to last 10 to 15 years.  I'm 68 so do the math, lol.  It's much cheaper than Bath Fitter or a complete gutting.  My tile can be regrouted, too, and look refreshed.

This is a guest bathroom that I primarily use and I don't want to spend $12 to $15 thousand on it.   We weren't the original owners unfortunately.  When I take a shower, I wipre down the whole area because I know what well water can do to tubs, tile and toilets.  Whatever I get done to it will have good care.

I'm leaning toward refinishing the tub, buying a toilet and buying a vanity top/sink.  Bath Fitter is scaring me.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

That sounds like a very reasonable solution. You may also check to see if the re-finishers have a warranty.
Honored Contributor

We re-did our bathroom with Bathfitters two years ago and I love it.

It was more expensive than replacing the tile surround and tub but finding a reputable home contractor isn't easy and it was too much for my hubby to try do himself.

I never would have been able to help him get the old tub out.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

It was more expensive than replacing the tile surround and tub but finding a reputable home contractor isn't easy and it was too much for my hubby to try do himself.

@CelticCrafter 

CelticCrafter, thank you so much for responding.  Nice to hear from someone who knows first hand what to expect.  I've pretty much decided not to use Bath Fitters but I din't cancel the appoint that I made for tonight.  For two years you've had no issues.  Fantastic.  I'm expecting a tub and wall surround will be around $7,000 but then I'll still have to pay someone for a toilet and vanity sink top maybe done by Home Depot or Lowes.  I've called several contractors and none have called me back.  Busy season, I guess.  A complete bath demolition/remodel will be around $15,000.  Too much since we're not young enough to get the full value out of it.

Did they use a licensed plumber?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

CelticCrafter, thank you so much for responding.  Nice to hear from someone who knows first hand what to expect.  I've pretty much decided not to use Bath Fitters but I din't cancel the appoint that I made for tonight.  For two years you've had no issues.  Fantastic.  I'm expecting a tub and wall surround will be around $7,000 but then I'll still have to pay someone for a toilet and vanity sink top maybe done by Home Depot or Lowes.  I've called several contractors and none have called me back.  Busy season, I guess.  A complete bath demolition/remodel will be around $15,000.  Too much since we're not young enough to get the full value out of it.

Did they use a licensed plumber?

@Mmsfoxxie

They do used licensed plumbers, but we didn't use theirs when it came to replacing the shower head and faucet - we did that ourselves.

Now it is two years ago but the cost for the tub, surround, two 4 shelf corner units and the soap dish was $3880.  We didn't do the ceiling over the tub, too claustrophobic for me. For them to do the plumbing work would have been another $1,000.  (New Jersey prices)

We haven't had any problems at all with mold or mildew.  Keep a squeegee to wipe the walls right after a shower, no water spots. 

The only thing I'm sorry we didn't do was have the bottom of the tub gritted.  It does have divets and it's not slippery unless I get lazy and go past a week without giving it a good cleaning.  A bath mat with suction cups doesn't work because of the divets, the cups just don't give a good hold.

I love it!