Honored Contributor

Has anyone used Bath Fitter?

I'm considering updating a bathroom mainly because my toilet is lousy (well water).  Since the color is that ugly beige pink that I can't find, I'll have to buy a white toilet which means I need a white tub.

Which brings me to my question about Bath Fitter or getting my tub refinished/reglazed.  We had a shower redone by Bath Fitter serveral years ago and it turned out well.  But I've been reading quite a few reviews and a few say that there can be a mold problem if it isn't done properly.  Water can seep under the liner and mold and buckling can occur, so some say.

Refinishing is much cheaper and can look just as good but there are fumes all through the house that can be inhaled for hours.

Can anyone share personal experience with either?  Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Bath Fitter?

I lived in a rental years ago that had one of those and it was awful. It was several years old and no longer fit well and it leaked. We wound up with mold so we moved.

I would go the refinishing route. Why not schedule it on a Fri afternoon and head for a hotel or weekend getaway when it's done?

New Contributor

YES, i HAVE THEY DID 3 BATHROOMS REDO. i LOVED THEM , AND THE EVERYTHING IS EASIER TO CLEAN. MY HOUSE IIS IN Florida. I guess it is really up to the installers.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies.  Yes, if I go the refinishing route, I guess a day or two away makes sense.  I can use money saved from not using Bath Fitter.

casiocrazy, it seems that it definitely is a hit or miss situation.  And I've heard that the warranty is not as good as they say.  You have to use certain cleansers or the warranty can be revoked.

I have an appointment for an estimate Monday but I'm not signing anything under pressure.  I heard that they offer you a discount for signing immediately.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

It is probably a toss up.  I had a tub and tile refinished white and about month after the warranty was up the tub started chipping.  It looks terrible now. 

Super Contributor

MmsFoxxie,

One thing you may consider is consulting with the company that did your shower since you're happy with how it turned out.  Another is to look into complaints against them specifically. 

I know when I saw the commercial for bath fitters mold was the first thing I thought of as being a potential problem.  I don't know if yelp gives reviews on work done in the house, but it's worth checking out to hear people's opinions.  Best of luck.

Respected Contributor

You should also get a price on gutting and a complete redo. The price may not be as bad as you think. Also, Granite Transformations does a nice job. I have done both and getting ready for redo the last bathroom next month. Usually takes about 4 to 5 days, not bad.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure glad I read all your comments...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have a few questions for you.

1. What material is you original tub made of? 

2. Does it have a fiberglass wall surround or tile?

3. Why does the toilet and tub have to match?

If it is cast iron, have it reglazed and the tiles can either stay or be painted to match or replaced/updated to your liking for a more total update!

If it is fiberglass, then I would replace the whole thing with a solid one piece tub/surround.  If the remodel with the one fitted over it isn't sealed on the back side and in the seams with caulking properly, then mold and water will get behind it and cause health issues.  If you choose to go that way, talk to some people to find out what company they went with and how the service/product results where.  Then go with that highly rated company.  They can work wonders these days.

I personally have the one piece fiberglass units and wish I had an old fashioned cast iron tub that is nice and long for my 5'8" frame to stretch out in.  My one piece units aren't long enough for me to get up to my ears in hot water with stretched out legs.  My master has a garden tub, which is just too deep and too short and the room too big for steam to build up for a good soaking.  I use the guest bath because it is small enough for steam to build up but the tub is short.

Good luck with your choice!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what material the tub is made of, I doubt if it's cast iron cause it sounds tinny when I thump it.  I like the tile but it's not ceramic.  The reason I'm considering the wall surround is because of the little shelves and the safety rail.

I need the tub and toilet to match because I've never seen a nice bathroom where they don't match.  Vanity tops can differ, though.

The company I used for the work on another bathroom shower was this same company in question but from my research it seemed to be the tub surrounds that people had the mold problem.  Back then I didn't realize that it was the luck of the draw of getting a good installer more so than the company.

Thanks for responses.