Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their house Re-Plumbed?

@conlt  You're welcome. We have an older home and had this done a few years ago. Because of this service,we found out that we could wait a while before we had to replumb.  It's actually a tiny video camera, it passes through the pipes, they will send you a report and a copy of the video for you to see.  It pinpoints the problem area(s). Maybe it's just one joint or one area that needs fixing.

I'm just curious, what made you think you need to replumb the entire house?

Respected Contributor

@decaf I have a leak and we think it is under the slab. I know, most likely, it will be a re-plumb situation.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt  I reread your OP.  I'm in Fl too, house built on slab. Just be sure also, if there is a leak, that it not the pipe or part of the sewer, that belongs to your city.  Then it's their problem.  Maybe you'll let us know what the plumbers inpections determine.  Wish you luck.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt  There's also companies in FL that reline existing pipes, it's called trenchless pipe lining. Don't know much about it, cost or warranty but I'd check into it if replumbing is needed. Also with replumbing, I got the impression they have to go thru, ruin all the flooring.  Yikes. 

Respected Contributor

@decaf I will let you know what they say. My understanding is with the re-plumb they don't go though the floors, they go from the attic down, leave the existing pipes but run the water through the new lines. What a headache. LOL. 

Valued Contributor

The floor in my bathroom and bedroom became very warm. I called the plumber and they traced the heat from the water heater. Instead of tearing up the slab, they rerouted the hot water line through the attic. The cost was $2,000 for the one line.

Then this past week, we had a water line crack in the front yard, Water was running down the street. The city repaired it because they had done a lot of street work and had moved our meter. It was actually caused by our tree root. They had to cut the root out and patch the water line.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt  I haven't heard of that technique but it sounds much better than going thru every floor in your home. We used to live in a townhouse and had a problem with a pipe, the one that brings the water into the washer.  Ended up that pipe belonged to the Homeowners Association, they had to pay to fix it.  I'm just saying explore all possibilities and of course, get multiple opinions and estimates. Good luck, I'm curious to know what the plumbers have to say.

Respected Contributor

@decaf Yes, thank you. I know the main pipe coming in is not my responsibility. 

Honored Contributor

The flexible pipe they use these days is called PEX for cross-linked polyethylene. It can be run like wire through a house so it's much easier to change out than older copper or rigid plumbing. It can often be run with relatively minimal disturbance to your interior. They often use color-coded PEX to distinguish between hot (red) and cold (blue.) It's neat stuff.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman Thank you!