Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever had leather furniture dyed?

Our leather living room sofa & chair are a deep ox blood color. The color is wearing off in spots and makes it look terrible . Not the normal patina leathers get - this is in huge spots the size of a dinner plate. Otherwise the furniture is still in good shape , very comfortable, supports your back well etc. Springs all good etc. So DH found a company who will come to your home and dye the furniture. He came and looked at it and gave us an estimate of $200. He guarantees it for 1 year.

He said this happens now with all made in the USA furniture beause of the dyes the EPA makes them use. The dyes are vegetable based instead of petroleum based, and they don't hold the color  with wear. 

So we are going to try this and see if we can get a few more years out of this furniture because we really like it a lot.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had leather furniture dyed?

@151949

"So DH found a company who will come to your home and dye the furniture. He came and looked at it and gave us an estimate of $200. He guarantees it for 1 year."

So you would have to pay $200 yearly to keep it looking like new?

How old is your leather furniture?  My leather furniture-couch, love chair, ottoman, recliner are 5 yrs old.  They all gets heavy usage & there is no color fading anywhere.  My color blood red & the ottoman is jet black.

My furniture came w/dye equipment & instructions to fix damage if any.  So far, I have had no need for it & I have a cat!  Sharpa couch & chair protectors helped w/that.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Since it's not done as part of the tanning process, I would be worried the dye would come off on clothing.  Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I think it would rub off on clothing...

Honored Contributor

We had the ottoman dyed by this company while it was still under warranty and that dye is still perfect. It hasn't come off on our shoes or feet. Anyway, that was how we know about this company - the furniture store sent them to fix a huge scratch that was on the ottoman when we got it. They gave us their card and since my DH never throws anything away - he dug that card up from somewhere. The furniture is 8 years old and has only recently started to show these areas.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

We had the ottoman dyed by this company while it was still under warranty and that dye is still perfect. It hasn't come off on our shoes or feet. Anyway, that was how we know about this company - the furniture store sent them to fix a huge scratch that was on the ottoman when we got it. They gave us their card and since my DH never throws anything away - he dug that card up from somewhere. The furniture is 8 years old and has only recently started to show these areas.

So, if you already had it done with satisfactory results, why are you asking us?

Honored Contributor

@151949

Ok, I just checked....

The dye is from a company called Uniters.  Their website also has detailed/video DIY instructions.  Something to think about if you do not want to pay $200 yearly for something you can do yourself now that you are out of warranty.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

My leather pieces never lost any color and have gotten more beautiful over the years. That’s too bad yours has had that problem, I hope they turn out beautifully and you are able to enjoy more years of use.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon I wasn't asking anything. I was bringing up a subject for discussion - or to inform people this could be done.

Honored Contributor

Being you like the furniture, and it is in sound condition, I'd pay $200. Same thing is happening to our recliners in heavy use areas.