Respected Contributor

Has anyone bought blinds from Home Depot ?

I need to upgrade old vertical blinds on my sliding glass door.  Not sure where to turn ... a local blind store or the Home Depot ? I will need professional installation I do not know much about these things.  Are vinyl blinds still the go to choice ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought blinds from Home Depot ?

I'd go to a blind shop and ask for a demo of what they have available then go to Home Depot and compare prices for similar products.  I bought one blind at HD which I installed myself, and it had narrow metal slats.  Now the pleated blinds are popular and very nice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I need to upgrade old vertical blinds on my sliding glass door.  Not sure where to turn ... a local blind store or the Home Depot ? I will need professional installation I do not know much about these things.  Are vinyl blinds still the go to choice ?

Home Depot uses subs for most of their services - and sometimes the end results aren't good. Two years ago, I upgraded the verticals on my slider. I called a local company and they connected me with one of their reps in my area. He did a good job - but I didn't particularly like him. Last year I had shutters installed on 2 bedroom windows - and I checked Yelp dot com - and contacted 2 nearby companies that had many 5 Star Reviews. The owner of the company who responded first - measured the windows and then sent his installers (2 guys) - who put up the shutters very quickly - and I'm very happy with the job.

I always choose to hire professionals directly. You could also interview 2 or 3 companies - get a price quote - and see who has the product ur interested in - and who u feel comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Home depot charges more usually.  Better off to call a blind shop.  Many around.  They know their stuff, and you cut out the middle man.  Home depot is a sub contractor

Esteemed Contributor

Another think to consider, if all the bits are in good working order, just buy new slats which you pop in yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Reever ...I have a friend with a new home with many windows and she had Home Depot come out and measure and then they will hang all the blinds.

BLINDS.COM is who they work with.  There is a flat fee for them to come and measure and hang the blinds.  I think it was about $200.00

Honored Contributor

We have a blind company in town.  We are a small too.  Also.I forgot,    Interior decorators also do this, for no fee.  They just come out and d it.  They are less than homedeopt I know for sure   At least one I know is. If they have a been in business for a while they have  arelationship with installers and companies.  Maybe you could gt two bids

Respected Contributor

I bought a plantation shutter from Home Depot for a side window. Installer came on time and did a great job. 

But for the rest of the windows and patio doors, I always go to Hunter Douglas. Great product and warrranty. 

Valued Contributor

Have always used private shop, but this time went to Home Depot.  Needed all 4 windows custom.  Ordered Bali products.  Installer came out to measure and as soon as they come will have installers out to put up.  I thought the price was reasonable.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever ~ When I had plantation shutters, wood blinds, woven blinds and verticals installed, (whole house),  I went with Hunter Douglas.  Wonderful quality, installation and service.  I was very pleased with everything.