Frequent Contributor

Has a Quick Project Ever Gone Wrong?

So our washer and dryer had been dying a slow death for about 3 years now.  Finally, the washer gave out and we got new ones delivered last week.  I started with a deep cleaning.  Then decided everything looked tired so I gave it a fresh coat paint (both walls and ceiling).  I am getting a new utility sink that is built into a cabinet because the laundry room is visible from the kitchen and living room. The flooring is the original from when the house was built and no matter how hard I scrub it doesn't look very clean so I'm also considering new flooring.  Do you ever have a home improvement project that seems to take on a life of its own?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has a Quick Project Ever Gone Wrong?

Yes!  It's the snowball effect, but enjoy the new space.

Respected Contributor

yes.  my friend purchased a new refrigerator which led her to redesign her kitchen, cabinets and all.  looks great

Honored Contributor

Yes!   Once you start with one thing, it leads to even more things. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  Our first house had already had several owners by the time it was ours.  The original owners had made some very good choices, but spme of those that followed didn't, so we had a saying:  Multiply by 3.

That meant whatever you thought a project would cost, multiply that by 3 to finish it.  And if we were projecting a time line, same deal -  multiply that first estimate by 3.

That was 50+ years ago, but I still use that formula successfully.  I get what I want, but I often end up paying more than I'd like.  Good thing I'm patient these days.

Honored Contributor

Just about every darn day!

One improvement/change makes things around it look less than perfect, and leads to the next thing and then the next. 

It's exhausting and costly, but usually the finished product is so worth the effort!

Super Contributor

I wouldn't use the word "wrong", but yes to it taking on a life of its own. I started out with just removing a wallpaper border and painting in a guest bedroom. That led to new bedding, curtains, a new light fixture, and next week a new hardwood floor. Now today I am thinking we should get  a new bed/ headboard. I think this happens a lot.

Honored Contributor

Lol, yes, every single time.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes.  Detour ahead.

DH wanted a bookshelf in the den for a collection.

In the process of moving all these old musty fusty books while he was gone for two hours (as a surprise), and in the process, re-arranging my office and sacrificing what had been my bookshelf, and then rearranging my office, I started to see a little patchy redness on my clavicle.  Contact dermatitis, I think.  Or spider bites (we have plenty).

NO!  It turned into shingles!  Then the dog got out the front door to chase the vacuum while I was cleaning the porch, and when I grabbed his collar he bit me (we have feral cats and he could be gone in a heartbeat), and then while I debated seeing a doctor, but didn't want the dog quarantined, it snowed, and I couldn't have gotten out even if I had wanted to!  By then I was past the three day window to get an anti-viral, anyway.

The bookshelf looks great, and I like my office better now.  I even hung a few new pictures and rearranged a chair.  About 6 weeks later, my rash is almost gone and I think I have survived permanent damage.  

Vaccinate your kids against chicken pox!  I could have spread them when I was contagious with shingles.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

When we moved into our present ( 46 years ! ) home, I asked DH to fix the drip in the bathroom sink next to our bedroom.  Well....by the end of the day we had the sink outside on the front lawn, the metal legs along side it, all the hardware and crumbled pieces of spigot, pipe, etc. on a blanket beside it.

The new sink and huge under cabinet are still beautiful and functioning!   Bless that drip !!!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill