Super Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Used Black Out Curtains Successfully LOL?

@elated wrote:

Have you looked on Amazon? They have many blackout shades..You could use blinds and blackout curtains. 

@elated yep, have looked quite a bit on Amazon, but so far none of the ones I've tried, have worked all that well. It could very well be that as another poster wrote here, may need to literally double up the recommended panels per window (according to size), but wow, in some cases it would be out of my current price range, bummer. 

I was hoping someone however might have been successful with a particular actual brand and could share! That would be awesome lol! 

Blinds, I don't know if we can do because more than likely you need to be really adept with a drill, etc, and not go crazy trying to find the studs in the wall HaHa - neither of us are at all handy. Still holding out hope for a solution with maybe sheers, and a good brand of true black out curtains! 

Valued Contributor

On our east-facing bedroom windows I have JC Penney blackout curtain liners. These are thick and very heavy. As one poster did, I purchased twice the number of panels as necessary. 

I paired these with JC Penney blackout shades. And on top I hung heavy drapes. I have swag valances that cover the top of the window to keep light out. 

On our west-facing bedroom windows I have blackout shades paired with more decorative JC Penney blackout curtains. That also does the trick. 

These products are many years old so I can't vouch for the quality of the blackout products JC Penney sells today. 

Honored Contributor

@DooneyGal2 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Recently we had to take care to try and install black out curtains for our bedroom, quality sleep has become a commodity lately ugh - our bedroom unfortunately faces EAST, and the early morning sun ☀️ is quite literally highly intense and blistering, there's no way getting away from it lol - but no matter what highly touted black out curtains we have tried, they're all just more or less darkening our room somewhat, but not doing the job - does anyone have a Brand they greatly recommend?
I'm almost thinking it's impossible for our bedroom, just crazy! Also I'm wondering if sadly the only way to REALLY benefit properly from black out curtains is if you also have room darkening / black out blinds or shades, as well. Many seem to not actually mention that they are also using blinds in reviews, but who knows (I personally would make a point of being thorough and adding it to my review!). We have a situation where it could be a struggle to install blinds in one of our two bedroom windows (they're also quite abnormally large!), hoping for the best!
Being such a light sleeper totally sucks, thanks so much for any help!

I got some for the house we stayed this summer,

go to Amazon they have all kinds of blackout shade

Honored Contributor

@DooneyGal2 ............Yes I used to work 2nd shift, so I needed a dark bedroom.  I had miniblinds and put black out curtains over them and it really worked.  I also used a mask.  I have blackout curtains in our bedroom now too.  I do not want a bright bedroom.  They help tremendously.

Saving time & trouble. If I offend you, I am sorry.
Honored Contributor

Penny's, see their curtain area.  We needed temp window coverings till our new blinds came in.  They were great.  They just pulled down, pushed up.  Measured and cut to window surfaces.  Try those.

Honored Contributor

I have had blackout pleated blinds in my bedroom for years. I dust or gently vacuum them. 

I've often thought of getting blackout curtains that would fit on a tension rod within the frame of my window but most aren't made to the length and it would cost a lot to have them altered.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Our bedroom faces east also and for part of the year the room is light at 5:30 am even with room darkening shades.  So I just put my eye mask on and problem solved.  A simple, cheap solution for me.  DH has no problem sleeping in a room that is light.

An eye mask is exactly what I was going to recommend. Very inexpensive (I bought a set of three last August for $9.99 from Amazon) and they make things dark, dark. You can stare at the midday sun with those on and all you see is darkness.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a window in our bedroom. We have French doors with blinds in between the glass that lead out to the balcony. Anyway, we have this crazy new neighbor behind us that installed flood lights all over his house. He will sometimes leave them on all night. His house was brighter than a Walmart parking lot and the light would light up the bedroom really bright (think of that episode of Seinfeld and Kramer and the Kenny Rogers Chicken sign) making it impossible to sleep even with the blinds shut. I got some black out curtains from the big A that adhere by Velcro so no drilling holes in the doors. They work great plus they keep the heat out in summer if I put them down. I roll up them up in the morning. 

Respected Contributor

@DooneyGal2 wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@DooneyGal2I have blackout drapes on top of sheers which are on top of sheers and Silhouettes so therefore 3 layers.

@rockygems123 I've often wondered if placement, layering can be very much the key! I did try layering somewhat, but still didn't make our room pitch dark or even close. I've never heard of Silhouettes, are they a particular type of sheer? Thanks for any help!

@DooneyGal2  Yes Silhouettes are a Hunter Douglas brand of adjustable sheer vanes.

I had them fit in a large window and felt it needed more so added pearl studded sheers on top.  Then the blackout curtains on a top of that to keep closed or pulled back to see the inset silhouettes and layered sheers. 

Regular Contributor

My suggestion is having the windows tinted , it worked for me and I live in the Palm Springs area .  Yes everything is costly .