Esteemed Contributor

WW - I like your idea of no formal breakfast service. Showing up for breakfast and sitting around table with strangers isn't my thing. That was the worst part of our B&B stay at a lovely, South Carolina mansion. The best part was everything else. Owners worked so hard and were great hosts. The covered porch was amazing.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake

When people first discover B&Bs, the idea of a big breakfast is often unique and special.

After lots of experience, we found it was our least favorite thing about B&Bs.  So, it was an easy choice when we opened.

Some people really love that experience, and there are plenty of places that still do full service breakfasts.  The ones we know often have kitchen help and/or a chef.  

And, many are dependent on that income.  I know how much work it is.  That's why we do it the way we do it Cat LOL

I'm retired and have no desire to spend more time cooking and cleaning.

Esteemed Contributor

No, never have owned a B&B, but ever since they came on the scene, this was/is the only way we travel.

Some of the best food we ever had was at a B&B!

I can imagine it is a ton of work!

Honored Contributor

There also permits,inspections,etc.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

We visit our favorite B&B on Mackinac Island yearly. Its so very lovely! They make breakfast but its not a formal everyone sit at a table and eat. Its a small buffet and we take what we want and have a seat in their front room or out on their beautiful porch. I can't see owning a B&B and not providing food for your guests. We are returning again to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with our kids and their spouses this summer. Can't wait!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Run a B&B?

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1 wrote:
It is definitely not for me. I have no desire to be "on" and serving strangers first thing in the morning.

Me neither.

Even beside that, it's a lot of work and enormously time-consuming.  There's so much that can go wrong - dealing with a large house, the public, just so many unforeseen problems.  It's a tremendous responsibility, and easily can become an owner's entire life, and not always in good ways.  Running a B&B is a whole lot more than providing breakfast.  That's probably the easiest part!

I've never had the desire to even stay at a B&B.  I'm very friendly, but when I travel I need a lot more privacy than that.  Definitely not for me as either owner or guest.