Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Ever Tried Using A Little Bleach When Washing A Down Pillow?

Hello Ladies. has anyone here ever tried adding chlorine bleach to the washing machine water when washing a pure down pillow? The cover is white cotton. I need to sanitize it. I don't need to add much bleach to do that. If you tried, what was the outcome?

Valued Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried Using A Little Bleach When Washing A Down Pillow?

I haven't, but I don't think it would be a good idea. It seems to me like the bleach would attack and possibly break down the down, which is an organic material. Maybe someone else knows for sure. I usually have to wash a down pillow a few times if the cover is soiled. I have a front loader and it is hard to balance the load when washing pillows.

Honored Contributor

That is why I am asking if anyone has tried it. It takes much less bleach to sanitize than to whiten, so with very diluted bleach, it might not hurt the feathers.

Esteemed Contributor

Mindy, just googled and found this ... LM

Care Instructions Always check the care instructions before washing your pillow, whether synthetic or down. The care instructions should always be followed if available. If unavailable, follow the directions below.

Two at a Time To keep your washing machine balanced, it is best to wash 2 pillows at a time. Place them in the washer on their side horizontally if you have a top loader.

Cleaner Options

Here are a few options for cleaners to use. You may need to wash your pillows more than once if they are very stained. Make sure to remove the pillow cases and pillow covers before washing.

Chlorine Bleach

You can wash your pillows in hot water with chlorine bleach and your regular detergent. Run hot water in a nearby sink until it turns very hot before starting the washer. If you start a hot water load without doing this, the water entering the washer will initially be cold, then become hot water, so you will end up with warm water instead of the hot water you need. You can even add boiling water to the washer if you desire extra hot water. After the washer has agitated for about 5 minutes, stop the wash cycle for about an hour or two and let everything soak. Make sure to use an extra rinse cycle when using bleach to ensure the bleach is completely rinsed out. You can even wash your pillows in just bleach then wash them a second time using your normal detergent.

Borax

Borax has been used for over 100 years as a detergent booster. Use 1/2 cup of borax to your laundry to aid your regular detergent in cleaning and odor removal. You can use borax with the bleach method above.

Powdered Dishwasher Soap

You can add 1 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent to the washer in addition to bleach, detergent, and borax. All 4 cleaners working together should get your pillows ultra white.

Drying

Dry your pillows in the dryer, but add dryer balls or new tennis balls to the dryer to plump the pillows as they dry. Do not dry foam pillows in the dryer, hang them to dry instead.

Tips

If you have allergies, you should probably wash your bed pillows at least once a month. Many experts believe you should only keep a synthetic bed pillow for 2 to 3 years and a down pillow for 5 to 7 years to ensure good neck support and a good night's sleep.
Honored Contributor

I'd look at it this way. If you will throw the pillow out if you can't wash and sanitize it, give it a shot. If you have to save the pillow at all costs, buy an inexpensive pillow protector to cover the stains.