Respected Contributor

Can you tell a real (solid) HW floor from engineered, etc?

I am always amazed when people ask if our floors are real HW.  I always think to myself, "can't you tell?"  I think the look and feel underfoot are very, very different.

I find engineered HW vs real HW vs laminate as different as vinyl vs carpet vs concert.

I have to admit, I also find it odd that people even ask.  It is like asking "is that your real hair color?'

Honored Contributor

Or asking if it a real diamond or a CZ???

Esteemed Contributor

My house is floored throughout with oak, and yes, I can tell it from, and prefer it to 'perfect' man made imitations.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Can you tell a real (solid) HW floor from engineered, etc?

I am always amazed when people ask if our floors are real HW.  I always think to myself, "can't you tell?"  I think the look and feel underfoot are very, very different.

I find engineered HW vs real HW vs laminate as different as vinyl vs carpet vs concert.

I have to admit, I also find it odd that people even ask.  It is like asking "is that your real hair color?'

Honored Contributor

I am not an expert and don't know the different terms but I do know that in areas where houses are ALL built on concrete slabs that the type of wood with cross-placed layers of laminated wood that are topped with hardwood (the good ones can be sanded many times) work better because they resist warping better on the slabs and in the climates where these are common. 

We had an expensive light maple in a former home and no way could you tell it wasn't hardwood through and through!  Everyone that came in commented on that beautiful floor. 

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   Yes I can tell hardwood from other types.  But I would never ask if it was real hardwood.  More than a little rude to do so.  

And if I was a prospective buyer being shown the house I wouldn't have to ask because it is a positive feature that likely would be in the listing.

I have seen serious buyers (of my parents' house) ask the realtor if a corner of wall-to-wall could be pulled back to check the condition of the hardwood and the color of the stain used and it was okayed to do so. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   Yes I can tell hardwood from other types.  But I would never ask if it was real hardwood.  More than a little rude to do so.  

And if I was a prospective buyer being shown the house I wouldn't have to ask because it is a positive feature that likely would be in the listing.

I have seen serious buyers (of my parents' house) ask the realtor if a corner of wall-to-wall could be pulled back to check the condition of the hardwood and the color of the stain used and it was okayed to do so. 

@aroc3435   Around here, you pull out a floor vent cover to check and see the quality and type of the wood floor.  Here it is mostly engineered hardwood and the cost varies widely.  So you can see how thick the top wood layer is, and estimate how many times it could be sanded and refinished.

I do not like those "hand scraped" floors you see often now.  Ours is a smooth medium-dark finish.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am not an expert and don't know the different terms but I do know that in areas where houses are ALL built on concrete slabs that the type of wood with cross-placed layers of laminated wood that are topped with hardwood (the good ones can be sanded many times) work better because they resist warping better on the slabs and in the climates where these are common. 

We had an expensive light maple in a former home and no way could you tell it wasn't hardwood through and through!  Everyone that came in commented on that beautiful floor. 

When we were looking a properties down south we noted that due to no basements/slab construction rarely is solid hardwood used.  It can be done but it is labor intensive and requires special install.

We noticed in high end construction either engineered hardwood (what you described) or vinyl planks were options.

I was SOLD on the vinyl planks, quiet, low maintenance, easy, easy.  NEVER again will we spend thousands of dollars on HW flooring.  

Engineered HW looks too fake for me and (as my cousin found) once something falls on it and gouges it your only option is to replace.  One of the benefits to solid HW is (depending on the variety) is it really holds up to abuse.  Anything but water.....

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

yes you're right they do not recommend real hardwoods due to "warping" unless you pay big $$$ for the treatment since most homes are on concrete slab.

I am looking at using this new product from recommdations from my flooring contractor & others who installed recently.  No echo, hollow sound and good choice cost wise vs. engineered flooring.

371D5618-0043-4F2B-90A5-983D1E5D2B1E.jpeg

28884E1D-9E0B-443B-89C9-08A35E5C6D34.jpegespecially in my bathroom remodels

Respected Contributor
I can tell the difference between real hard wood and the engineered hard wood. The feel of the floor on your feet is different. I prefer real hard wood.
Others prefer the engineered wood. Depends on the person.
Honored Contributor

We have teak hardwood floors throughout. I've never had anyone ask if my floors were anything but wood. Our floors highlight our home and everyone seems to love them, including me!

"Pure Michigan"