Honored Contributor

HOUSE BEAUTIFUL'S DOLLHOUSE SERIES

Love the idea of dollhouses, do you?   I had one of those basic metal ones as a kid-- such fun.

I often find that, in the execution, dollhouses can be a bit disappointing.  House Beautiful has apparently commissioned a series of them, from real life designers.  This one is appealing, but where's the kitchen?!  You have to have a kitchen, not just a dining room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQObTDDd5I

Still, it's charming.  Young Huh seems to be an up-and-coming designer too-- she mixes traditional and modern so well.  Among other things, love the tiny blue and white plates on the wall!

I've always had doll house fever. 

Respected Contributor

Re: HOUSE BEAUTIFUL'S DOLLHOUSE SERIES

@Oznell In the 1970's, we did a house from the bottom up in Lake Forest.  Beautiful David Adler type design.  The client wanted a miniature built for his young daughter.  It was a fascinating project.  There were not that many craftsman at that time who could complete it.  The furniture maker was the most difficult to find and if I remember correctly, he was in New Hampshire.  The Art Institute of Chicago had a wonderful collection of miniatures and was very helpful in finding craftsman.  It was exquisite when completed.  Sadly, the client later divorced.  It was donated many years later to The Art Institute of Chicago to add to their collection.  It was a totally fascinating experience!  Thank you for reminding me!!!

Honored Contributor

When I was a child, I had a beautiful doll house with great furniture. When I got older, we donated it to another little girl , and I'm sure she loved it as much as I did. There is just something magical about a doll house. It's been a million years, but I still remember my dining room, it was white wood with red chair covers. Lovely memories.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Somertimeand @QVCkitty1 ,  what wonderful stories of doll house experiences, from two different perspectives-- one a professional experience in putting one together, and one a child's experience, in having one!   There is something magical and that tugs at our hearts and memories about doll houses....

Honored Contributor

My dad made me a dollhouse when I was little.  It was a simple one-story ranch style.  We weren't very knowledgeable about finding furnishings.  I don't remember the furnishings at all -- just that it was fun to play with.  I seem to recall the doll family was rather Victorian-looking as the father character had a black suit with a waistcoat and a pocket watch. 

This House Beautiful series will be fun to see in its entirety of these eleven designers decorating the same style dollhouse.

I also watched the first one, with the Caribbean vibe.  (That one has a kitchen -- and several little dogs.) 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

How neat that your Dad made your very own custom ranch, @GingerPeach!

Yeah, I saw the Caribbean-type one.  Thinking she went a little overboard with the wallpaper, but as you say, at least it had a kitchen!

Agreed-- it will be fun to see the other attempts.  Hoping some designer will wow us, with something really unique and ultra-detailed...

Respected Contributor

What patience!  When I was a child I loved my doll house.  It did kind of resemble our house - a two story brick.  I used to get shoe boxes and cut picutures out of catalogs and magazines and "design"  rooms.

A friend who is a contractor build a replica of their house for his granddaughter.  Don't know what they did about furnishing it tho.

When I was in my thirities I had a house large enough to set up a doll house (I was still interested in them) and I investigated purchase of a victorian replica.  I started buying miniture furniture from catalogs - of course, there was no on-line then.  For various reasons, the project never came to fruition.

Respected Contributor

When I was a child a family friend gave us the custom-made dollhouse that he had made for his daughters.   They were older and no longer played with it.  I remember sitting for hours on end playing with it.    He had even built small little tables and beds for all of the rooms.   I just loved changing all of the furniture around and pretending that it was my home.  

When I think back, he was so kind to just give it to me.   He was a excellent carpenter and cabinet maker and he could have sold it for quite a bit of money in those days.

I played with it for years until I also outgrew it.  I remember giving it to a little girl who was the child of another family friend.   I heard that after she finished with it she put it in storage and saved it hoping that she would have a little girl.  She did, and that girl also enjoyed years of playing with it.

I wish that kind gentleman would have known how many generations of little girls had enjoyed that beautifully made dollhouse.

It's so ironic to see this post because just the other day I was talking to my husband about the dollhouse that I had played with during my childhood.  

Respected Contributor

I had a dollhouse when I was young. Loved it. One of my favorite presents  from Santa. Played for hours. My younger brother always rearranged it. Mother told him not to but he never stopped. Kept it until I had my second son. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23, @J Town Girl , and @Catiele ,  your doll house stories are fascinating, so much mirrors my experience as well.