Respected Contributor

Lately DH and I have been watching this show.  Tamara remodels old houses in Kansas City, MO.  Her decorating choices are a little out there.  Like I am now watching a show were she painted the exterior black.  Have you seen this show and if so what do you think of it?

Esteemed Contributor

I like this show because these are older homes. I saw that episode where she painted the outside black. It would not have been my choice but it fit the home and the area. I'm more in the neutral shades. I wish I had access to find some of the fixtures, etc. that she does. We have an older home and it's always a challenge to find something that fits. I find it interesting. I don't agree with all the choices that ny of them make on thse types of shows but I like to see what is possible given the budget.

Regular Contributor

I liket this show.  I like Tamra's style.  I'd buy one of her houses!!!  I like that she is saving these old houses.  I also like that she includes her father.  She rarely takes his advice, but she includes him!!!  HAHAHA

Valued Contributor

I love the show and the houses she renovates, but DO NOT  like her final transformations.  She took a beautiful French country home and restored much of it, but then decorated in a contemporary style with dark green kitchen cabinets.  She has done the same with several older Tudor style homes and I lost interest.  I do like neutral tones and not screaming color ...

Honored Contributor

This season she is doing very loud tile and wallpaper in the whole room vs just an accent wall.

She was doing a laundry room with sort of a decoupage of maps and it sounded good but her family actually did it and they just glued the maps one next to the other vs overlapping them and it didn't look good at all.

I find her numbers to be a bit low for the amount of work she does.

My biggest pet peeve, though, is that she does the downstairs first, stages it and shows it off and then does the upstairs.

That can't possibly be the way she does it in real life because you have so much equipment and people running in and out and at a minimum they have to be scuffing the walls and the floor, not to mention cracking the drywall with all the banging and hammering up there.

It just doesn't seem realistic.

Also, her definition of "mansion" is different than mine.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

I came across this show just the other week and was totally sucked in.  I record them now and do love her style.  I'll keep watching for sure. 

Valued Contributor

Re: HGTV's Bargain Mansions

[ Edited ]

I loved the first couple of seasons, but for some reason, she wants to go all out there this time around.

She redid a farm house and put the half bath right in the living room area. 

Another one she called a shirtwaist. She put the refrigerator in the pantry area and it was surrounded by cabinets. So not only was it narrow, but there was no place to put something down as you are getting things out of the fridge. 

Then she proceeded to place the half bath right in the dining room area. So basically you could sit at the dining area and look at the toilet.  It reminded me of that po-pourri commercial where she's in the dining room with her boyfriends family and she says she has to go and they point to the door just steps away from the table. Lol!

Now I know with old houses, sometimes you had awkward layouts because indoor plumbing was new and they put a bathroom whereever they found they could connect pipes. But she basically starts from scratch and in both cases could have either moved the bathroom elsewhere (like the Fridge pantry) or put the opening in another wall for greater privacy.

So I don't think she is really planning very well or she is not consulting an architect. 

Honored Contributor

She did one where she put the master suite in the attic and it had no doors.  You just come right up the steps.  The bathroom the closet, the whole thing was a head scratcher.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35   I remember that one. Even her little girl said where's the door?? The vanity and tub were beautiful, but as you said, everything should have been enclosed. That might have worked better as a teen or young adult suite. Bedroom, bathroom and a study area. Or two teens to share the space. Who wants to climb that many stairs at the end of the day?

Honored Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

@VaBelle35   I remember that one. Even her little girl said where's the door?? The vanity and tub were beautiful, but as you said, everything should have been enclosed. That might have worked better as a teen or young adult suite. Bedroom, bathroom and a study area. Or two teens to share the space. Who wants to climb that many stairs at the end of the day?

Her Dad always mentions how many steps their are.  LOL

If you're a young couple with kids, you need a bathroom and a bedroom door.  She knows that.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN