Honored Contributor

HGTV"s "OLD" ' THE UNSELLABLES' TV SHOW ON YOUTUBE

allsopjpg.jpeg

Remember this show, from years past?  I had forgotten (if I ever knew it) that the episodes are available on Youtube.

First set in Toronto, and hosted by cheeky Brit Sofie Allsopp, it had that fun "fix 'em up to more quickly sell" formula, that I never seem to tire of. 

Sofie would typically take a modest home, languishing on the market, and with her knowhow and the building smarts of the show's contractor, Anthony Sayers (above), they'd transform it so buyers would perk up and notice.

This episode I'll post below is one of the most fun.  A quirky, charming little cottage in a quiet lakeside community in the greater Toronto area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yfoTEDFQww

Unlike the hosts of some of the current HGTV shows, Sofie and Anthony are pleasant and appealing.  Even the homeowner in this one is sweet-- and once she gets to see the vision for her little house, she's totally with the program and excited about every step.

The changes are simple, and they're not all lavish and luxe--  to me, that's part of the low-key appeal.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HGTV"s "OLD" ' THE UNSELLABLES' TV SHOW ON YOUTUBE

@Oznell - I watched this show when it was originally on and really enjoyed it.  Agree about Sofie and Anthony - they were pleasant and low key.  This show is so different from their current renovation shows.  If I remember correctly, the show ran for at least two seasons.

Thanks, once again for another TV alert!  I will definitely look for The Unsellables on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

I don't ever remember seeing this show but did watch the entire episode you posted.

I totally enjoyed it...realistic and pleasant..the good old days of HGTV.

Valued Contributor

I don't remember the show.I do understand bout the old shows were more down to earth and relatable.

Seems like shows follow the same script just a different show.

House Hunters seem like they alway dislike ceiling fans & no dishwasher or tub! 

Love It Or List It has Hillary always having to take away some item that homeowners really wanted.

I would still watch the show just don't need repetitive issues.Only one I see that is interesting now is Lottery Dream Home.JMO

Sure do miss the landscaping shows

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Thanks for posting this.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister, @DREAMON , @red&curly , @Flatbush ,

You summed it up well, @DREAMON -- oh, for the good old days of HGTV!  If they'd just bring back a variety of disparate shows like they used to have, with different decorating points of view, and a little originality....

Honored Contributor

I watch many of the old HGTV shows on Pluto.

Yesterday I watched a couple of episodes of Sell This House with Tanya Memme & Roger Hazard.   Actually I think it was originally on A&E.    This show was about staging a house to sell, back in the day when it might cost $500, instead of $100k

I watch the old Martha Stewart show and one of my favorites, Emeril Live, which was on the Food Network back when it was about cooking and no competitions.   

Valued Contributor

@software thanks a bunch.We have Pluto which my husband is always watching something that doesn't interest me.Guess I better start since Spectrum went up again $12! Got to do something! 

Was gonna ask if anyone remembered... Think it was on food network, Bobby Flay & another guy that always wore overalls - Grill in & Chilling.

We loved this show.They were so funny together before Flay got big time.Bobby would use gas & other guy would use charcoal. Great show!

Honored Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

@software thanks a bunch.We have Pluto which my husband is always watching something that doesn't interest me.Guess I better start since Spectrum went up again $12! Got to do something! 

Was gonna ask if anyone remembered... Think it was on food network, Bobby Flay & another guy that always wore overalls - Grill in & Chilling.

We loved this show.They were so funny together before Flay got big time.Bobby would use gas & other guy would use charcoal. Great show!

Jack McDavid, he was a character.

I think that show started out on PBS

Thanks for the memory, it was a good show

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, @software ,  "Sell This House" was another good one--  I must hunt those on youtube at some point....