Super Contributor

This post got me curious, so I googled....

https://www.homes.com/blog/2021/01/what-really-happens-to-hgtv-dream-home-winners/

Trusted Contributor

@racada  That's a great article.  Thanks for finding it. 

Yeah the taxes and cost to live in that house is certainly out of my league.  Maybe whoever wins it will let me borrow it for a two week vacation in the fall when all the trees are vibrant colors.  😀

Actually, I've been very lucky and blessed with always having a roof over my head and food on the table.  I'm grateful for that, and it's really all I need.  

Super Contributor

I love everything about it!  

Valued Contributor

if I could pick it up and move it out of Vermont to the Midwest I  might. Also, take note..zero Barn Doors or Prison Gray walls. So glad those 2 fads are over. Who ever wins needs cash in the bank. I'd love to stay as a weekend getaway in Autumn, though. 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Aside from the New England location and views I don't care for the look of the home inside or out. The decor itself is a deal breaker for me. I'd take the cash.

Yes, I agree!

Super Contributor

I wish HGTV dream homes of the future would be planet friendly, energy effieicent, smaller and most of all the upkeep and taxes affordable for the average Joe.  The 2022 home looks cold, dark, unfriendly and unvwelcoming.  I could never live in that house.

Super Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

When they first started with this contest, I used to enter every day.  Now I might enter once or twice.  I believe most winners take the cash option because the taxes are so high since the winnings are counted as income, so yeah, it would boost mine by quite a bit.  I guess you still have a ton of cash left over, so I'd probably buy a smaller vacation home somewhere if I could.  Anyone know if you can read about past winners?  I bet they sign a ton of NDAs to prevent them from telling the real story - LOL.

Some stories of past winners:

https://www.countryliving.com/real-estate/a16751880/hgtv-dream-home-winners/

Super Contributor

The home is beautiful but I question having a pool with all those trees around!

Also, the vehicle they include with the house, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  It has an estimated value of $111,000.00.  Can you imagine what the insurance per year would run? ($2,000-$3500 per year) I wish you could take the cash option for the car, as well. 

Honored Contributor

@Tuffcookie wrote:

The home is beautiful but I question having a pool with all those trees around!

Also, the vehicle they include with the house, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  It has an estimated value of $111,000.00.  Can you imagine what the insurance per year would run? ($2,000-$3500 per year) I wish you could take the cash option for the car, as well. 

I believe the cash option is for everything. Car, furnishings, house, etc. You either take the whole prize bundle or the cash option. For me, it would be a no-brainer. Take the money and run. Much less complicated and you likely come out ahead overall.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It is beautiful, but too big and too expensive for me! Plus if I am going to have a pool, I want a really nice one, not just your basic standard pool.......Especially for that money! lol.....I also don't like the mini kitchen in the guest room-that is a bit too much for me, but overall it is a very nice home, but to me more for a vacation home...