Esteemed Contributor
The house is beautiful but, of course, I'd tweak things here and there.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@KittySoftPaws wrote:

@feline groovy  I've noticed many replies saying they wouldn't want the home because it's in Florida. Just curious why, is it Florida or just this part of Florida.

@KittySoftPaws : 

The biggest reason for me is the year-round weather. 

Due to health condtions, I have very little tolerance for heat and totally zero for humidity.  It actually can be life-threatening for me.

The second reason is that I would miss having four distinct seasons.

Other than that I'm really not a fan of the state in general.

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz :  I also love New England.  8)

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

I enter the contest regularly. One of the past homes was across the bay from me.

How do they pick the winners from email entrees?

Supposedly, the winner is drawn at random, but I suspect there's some prescreening of the entries. The rules of such contests typically include enough vagueness to allow them to disqualify anyone they want to disqualify for any reason they choose. 

They likely screen entries as they arrive and then select multiple winning options from the entries that pass initial scrutiny. Then they do more detailed research into the potential winners until they decide who to award the prize to. 

They say the value is over $2 million, but the cash option you're given is $650,000. Oddly they claim the ARV (approximate retail value) of the cash prize is $820,000. I guess you get the $70,000 credit for a Mercedes and the $100,000 in cash also to get to the $820,000. Maybe? 

And here's the fun part. Even if you win, they don't have to give you the house. They can substitute the cash prize (the $650,000) at their sole discretion. There's a lot of leeway they've built into the contest to give them control over who wins and what prize they get. The good news is if they deem you worthy, you get at least $650,000. The bad news is you may get taxed as if it was $820,000. But hey, who couldn't use $650,000?

Thanks for the explanation. It's sort of a "fixed" raffle. I put in one entry when I see the HGTV email but don't get my hopes up!

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz   Wouldn't these be so much fun??!!  I love this idea - I may need to contact them somehow and strongly urge them on this idea.

Valued Contributor

I read that the majority of the winners opt for the "Cash Value" over the house and the vehicle.

I've been entering for years, and if I won, (after paying the taxes) I would "take the money and run!" Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: HGTV 2024 Dream House

[ Edited ]

A beach house is a dream home for me, even with the chance of hurricanes. Every region has a possibility of something bad: storms, fires, flooding, tornadoes, etc. 

I love the large porch and views on this house, but there's way too much blue inside for me. 

I entered the dream house giveaway once or twice many years ago. I haven't entered in a long time. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with the home being in FLA.  But the house is just way too big and the upkeep, taxes, etc, would just be too much for DH and I.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I like the house and blue is my favorite decor color.

How in creation did that olive colored guest room get in there?  It looks like a basement room decorated with thrift store finds.

I wouldn't want to win....the taxes would kill me.