Valued Contributor

I am currently at my parents' house near Venice in Italy.We have the same problems here.

Valued Contributor

I am currently at my parents' house near Venice in Italy.We have the same problem here.

Honored Contributor

I have already killed hundreds of stink bugs inside my house this season. They live in our window openings and between the logs are house is made of . I crush them and put them in the trash, my husband cannot stand the smell, so  he sucks them up in the vacuum. We live in the woods so we put up with all sorts of critters when Spring comes.

Esteemed Contributor

Only a few each year in NYS - I grab - flush - no pinch so have never smelled their odor.  I didn't know they were blind - that's interesting.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Your home improvement store or garden center may sell a sprayer that would reach the upper part of your house. 

Honored Contributor

Are most of ya'll with this bug problem in Pennsylvania?  The only place I've ever seen them was at my sister's house outside of Philly.

There are probably sewer plants there literally crawling with these things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Don't waste money on poisonous insecticides. Every chance you get collect some and drown them. I catch them with a Bugzooka, and put them in water mixed with dishwashing liquid. I have a well, so I don't want to be flushing my toilet constantly. For every stink bug killed, many thousands are prevented from being born.

Tips from the University of Maryland Extension extension.umd.edu/hgic/tips-dealing-brown-marmorated-...

Respected Contributor

About 5 years ago we started with the stink bug invasion: it appeared that they would start to come down from the attic of our rancher  via the picture window side and horizontal tracks.  On really cold winter days I could do the Kleenex to toilet routine about 20X / day.

We did get the outside spray treatment next:  the liquid dried on the windows and left a milky streaky on them.  It did reduce the # ( yes, I kept track ).

They finally got significantly  reduced in # when our new next door neighbor had the old evergreen trees on the property line cut down.

On the coldest day, I may get one or two bugs.  I can deal with that.

When we were in FL one year for the Feb-Mar time span, we lowered the heat to 50-55 degrees.  Amazing, there were only a few dead bugs to toss.  They love warmth obviously!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

We have been bothered with these bugs for about 7 years now with them mostly coming in through our chimney and down through the glass doors.  We tape our doors with clear package tape sealing them pretty well.  It looks awful but it is us against them.  We have a two sided fireplace so we need to do this on both sides.  They eventually die, we open the doors and vacuum the dead up and tape up again.  For those that do sneak in via windows or doors, we use a plastic jar from orange juice, put water and a lot of Dawn detergent in to make a sticky solution of about 4" and slide it up the wall or curtain and they drop in.  The Dawn/water sticks to them and they are unable to fly and die.  Cap the bottle and reuse for awhile then discard and make another.  Other way we do it, carefully pick up with paper towel and into small zip lock bag and trash them.  Don't squish or squeeze.  Can't wait for them to all die off but doubt it will happen.  Some years in NW NJ have been horrible, some not as bad but always here.  Lots of farms around and then they look to be warm during the cold weather so in they come.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Do you have an Ortho around your area?  If not, check Walmart and other hardware stores as they have stink bug traps and spray.  Do a search online.

kindness is strength