Trusted Contributor

My daughter did a load of laundry and a pen exploded in the dryer.  The only think that is somewhat working is nail polish remover, however, its not takining it all off. 

Does anyone know if the remaining ink on the drum will transfer on clothes once the dryer heats up, or is just permanently stained on the dryer drum??

Respected Contributor

Re: HELP!! Pen expoded in dryer

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry that I don't know the name of anything specific. However one of he women who worked for me in Real Estate had a family with a child and a ball point pen in her car. The child wrote all over the back seat beige leather with that ball point.  She took it to an auto shop where they did detailing and they got out every smidgen of that awful ink.  I have no idea what they used but just as a suggestion, you might call people who detail and see if someone can make a suggestion.  Also check with laundries. They might have something. 

QVC does have a couple of products that claim to remove permanent marker and they might help - one is GP66 or something like that.  Also, you might try Oxy Clean.  It has taken some stains out of carpeting for me through the years, and does a good job on clothing stains. Can't hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

That's happened at my house not once but twice with pens that were in my son's pants pocket. They didn't explode but they left blue streaks all over the drum. Both times I used a magic eraser and though they didn't completely disappear there was never any problem with staining on any other articles of clothing including whites.

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

That's happened at my house not once but twice with pens that were in my son's pants pocket. They didn't explode but they left blue streaks all over the drum. Both times I used a magic eraser and though they didn't completely disappear there was never any problem with staining on any other articles of clothing including whites.

Thanks!  Tried the magic eraser but that really didnt remove any more than the polish remover did.  My machine is 21 yrs old, maybe that why its not cleaning up like the you tube videos!  Anyway, I was concerened about future loads and you answered that for me!!

Occasional Contributor

My favorite "desperation cleaner" has the terrible name of "Krud Kutter."  When I've exhausted all other measures, I bust out the Krud Kutter and it has never disappointed yet.  It has the added benefit of having no harmful chemcals and being biodegradeable. I did just check and "ink" is not listed on the container, however I'm thinking if it can remove dried paint, bit might work on dried ink.  Good luck, and let us know what you finally find that works!

Honored Contributor

Yup, I;d definitely give a magic eraser a try!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I Googled this and found a WikiHow article on the subject, whereby they offer four ideas.  I hope one is helpful for you.  P.S. If it were me, I'd try the alcohol suggestion first.  P.P.S. This article says the ink will transfer off the drum onto your clothes.  Woman Frustrated

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

I have an aerosol can of a product that removes graffiti, and wonder if something like that would remove the ink from inside your dryer. I don't remember where we got it, but I would think a hardware store would carry somehting similar.

Trusted Contributor

Try WD40, it can be a miracle worker for a whole lot of different problems!  It is not just for squeaky doors.           tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

I think this is worth a try and probably won't be too expensive.

Go to an office supply store and buy a bottle (usually it's a spray bottle) of the liquid used for removing dry erase marker.

I accidently got black markings from a fat Sharpie on a counter at work and the dry erase solution took it right out.