Respected Contributor

Re: HELP!!!! Need new washer:

@Gajopa wrote:

@I have a 2 year old LG pair with a glass top loader & glass front dryer. Absolutely hate the washer, dryer is fine but takes much longer than my 20 year old one did. The washer has @ 10 cycles but only one option that is not too lengthy to suit me. I use the 35 min wash, which is fine. All others are an hour or longer. That doesn't make sense to me. I also hate the small amount of water that doesn't get all of the clothes wet. I've learned a way to 'fool' it as it senses the amount of clothes by weight. Once it's filled, I turn it off, then back on & it re-senses the weight again which is heavier with the water so it puts more in this time. I didn't know to look for this kind of thing when I was buying.

Thanks for the tip on getting more water. Hate these new machines.

Respected Contributor

I have new Speed Queens. Pricey. I am unable to use warm or hot water on the water saving Eco cycle. Maybe it's because we have a tankless water heater. I have to fill the machine with warm water on another cycle then turn machine off and reset to Eco. Eco doesn't fill the tub for the rinse cycle as the other cycles do, but Eco seems to work well. I like Eco because we are on water restrictions.

Also the spin cycles are so hard that it builds terrible wrinkles into the clothing even on gentler cycles. So...I don't love the machine but it's ok . Dryer is ok. Sometimes leaves little damp places on the clothing but it seems to dry better if I put two tennis balls in with the items to be dried.

Washing machines aren't what hey used to be. I knew mine wouldn't last the rest of my life and so had to buy new. It's a difficult experience.
Valued Contributor

I am sold hook line and sinker on the Speed Queen and most of all MADE IN AMERICA

Beckyblu

Esteemed Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:
I have new Speed Queens. Pricey. I am unable to use warm or hot water on the water saving Eco cycle. Maybe it's because we have a tankless water heater. I have to fill the machine with warm water on another cycle then turn machine off and reset to Eco. Eco doesn't fill the tub for the rinse cycle as the other cycles do, but Eco seems to work well. I like Eco because we are on water restrictions.

Also the spin cycles are so hard that it builds terrible wrinkles into the clothing even on gentler cycles. So...I don't love the machine but it's ok . Dryer is ok. Sometimes leaves little damp places on the clothing but it seems to dry better if I put two tennis balls in with the items to be dried.

Washing machines aren't what hey used to be. I knew mine wouldn't last the rest of my life and so had to buy new. It's a difficult experience.

The eco cycle is something the government required them to add to their machines.  I was beyond disappointed to find out this cycle wouldn't allow warm or hot water cause I rarely wash in just cold.  So, I avoid this miserable cycle.  Not sure if it fills more than half way either (I think not).  I think the spin cycle seems to leave things with a bit more water in them but maybe that's just my perception but I've seen no extra wrinkling yet.  What I am finding is my lint trap in my dryer is getting lots of fuzz from all sorts of loads I'm washing so I wonder if my other machine was not agitating properly or this one is harder on clothing.  Maybe it's the spin cycle? 

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp i'm curious, as I understand it you are not able to get warm water on eco either? Do you have a regular water heater or tankless? 

For me, eco can fill all the way up on the highest setting. 

I get get a lot of dryer fuzz too but I'm not sure if it's more than with my old dryer. 

The spin is very fast and hard. Sometimes I stop the spin a few minutes before its done. Clothing is really wrinkled. I'm old-fashioned and like to hang them on the line, but the wrinkles don't fall out so they have to go in the dryer. That's certainly not energy-saving, is it?

I spent a lot of time looking at machines and finally settled on these. I'm not crazy about them but I don't think there's anything better out there. Seems like every current machine has complaints about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happygirl  my eco cycle is only cold even though I can sometimes see the setting on the panel says warm.  This eco cycle was supposed to be some government regulation to save water and energy I guess.  Fail IMO.  I have a regular heater, not tankless.  One thing I love about the machine though, is that it will not walk across the room when in a spin mode or when there is an unbalanced load.  My other machine drove me nuts with this and the Speedqueen is heavy and heck and stays in place. 

I'm not seeing the wrinkling - what do you set the machine for when you get that?

Valued Contributor

I detest my Maytag Bravos washer. It's top load without agitator, and this business of way insufficient water is horrible. Also takes much too long. If I have a moderately full load, I use the "bulky" cycle which fills the tub with water, but I have to stay near the machine the entire time it is running because it constantly goes out of balance: I have to rearrange the clothes.

This machine wastes water. If I could select the water level like in the far superior old machines, then I'd save water. Using the bulky cycle is the only way to ensure laundry gets wet, but I may not actually need a tub full of water.

The ONLY good thing I can say about my washer is it has a very nice, gentle, "hand wash" cycle.

My washing machine is a major pet peeve of mine. I really hate having to stay within earshot the entire time the washer is running.

Esteemed Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

I detest my Maytag Bravos washer. It's top load without agitator, and this business of way insufficient water is horrible. Also takes much too long. If I have a moderately full load, I use the "bulky" cycle which fills the tub with water, but I have to stay near the machine the entire time it is running because it constantly goes out of balance: I have to rearrange the clothes.

This machine wastes water. If I could select the water level like in the far superior old machines, then I'd save water. Using the bulky cycle is the only way to ensure laundry gets wet, but I may not actually need a tub full of water.

The ONLY good thing I can say about my washer is it has a very nice, gentle, "hand wash" cycle.

My washing machine is a major pet peeve of mine. I really hate having to stay within earshot the entire time the washer is running.

Government didn't need to butt in and start regulating the cycles of washing machines.  Your machine sounds worse than mine.  At least I can set it to a large load. 

Valued Contributor

@Gajopa, what do you mean you turn it off?

I would love to find a way to fool my machine, a Maytag. If I turn it off when it is in the middle of washing, the machine drains the water from the tub.  It does not spin, just drains the water.  I gather yours doesn't do that?

Gosh, if anyone has tips on how to trick their washer to have more water, please share.

Respected Contributor

the trick is while its still in sencing and no water is running. hit stop pause for couple secounds and hit it again. it wil add alittle more water. keep doing this until there is amount of water you want. i have a maytag he and i do it once in awhile.   your other issue with it draining like u said. i havnt been able to trick that.