Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grrrrrr hate my new Maytag dryer - so frustrated!!!! (Venting sorry🙄)

One thing that I did not know about washers and dryers is that if you have a second-floor laundry like I have, do not buy a Speed Queen as the rotation is too much for your flooring.  I had no idea, and when we went to buy ours last year, Speed Queen was what we planned to get.  We did not go to a big box store but went to a local appliance center that has been in business for many years.  When we asked about the charge for getting the washer and dryer upstairs, that is when we were directed to the Electrolux, which was less expensive.  We never thought that location was important on an appliance.  We are very happy with the Electrolux, but that was a brand that I had never planned on.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

according to Mr. Know it All (spouse) I'm not doing it right! Plus, he checked the new vent hose, etc. -- yup it's ME!!!

So I wash a spa style bathrobe (alone) and put in dryer on HIGH on timed setting 70 minutes per his directions. He takes out & tells me it's still "damp".....hmmmm I dried it like he said. 

Put it on another 70 minutes - dry!

My frustration is why bother to put "sensor/energy saving" cycle or heat options if only dries on HIGH/timed setting.

told him he can call Maytag or store and deal with them....since "I don't know how to work it!"😳😤

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Some clothes dryers now have a cool down cycle towards the end of the cycle so the clothes come out feeling nice and cool to handle. The last two to five minutes (sometimes longer) they blow cool air in instead of the warm air. If you have a dryer with a cool down cycle built in, your drying time will increase and the clothes will come out cool to the touch. To test your heating element, just crack the door mid-cycle and the dryer and clothes should be very warm. If they are, then there's no problem with the heating element.

If the heating element is fine then check to be sure the dryer vent hose isn't kinked, obstructed, or too long. also check the lint trap to be sure it isn't obstructed or clogged in some manner. With the dryer running mid-cycle head outside where the dryer vent is and see how the air coming out feels. It should be quite damp and warm and flowing pretty quickly. 

Drying clothes is largely a matter of physics. Warmer air holds more moisture so warmer air moving past the clothes at a high speed will dry the clothes the quickest. As the air temp drops the ability to hold more moisture drops with it and the clothes take longer to dry. Government regulations don't change the physics involved, much to the confusion of government officials. "But we passed a law!" The laws of physics take precedence over the laws of man.

I have that on my dryer and figured out early on that I had to add 5-10 mintes on the timer or the clothes would still be damp..

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter@gardenman

geez what we need to know to dry a load of clothes!!! Lol

I only do laundry 1-2/week so I'll wait til I have another full load to try it again! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 The first post on this thread is a true dryer vent!   LOL

Seriously though, I had a similar problem with my new dryer. It turned out that the sensors on it are a lot more sensitive than on my old dryer.  Bottom line:   I had to have my vent cleaned out, which hadn't been cleaned out in several years (you are supposed to do it once per year -- the vent that goes outside).  If the vent is clogged - anywhere - then too much heat backs up back into the dryer and those sensors shut off the heating element or something.  Anyway, the guy who came to clean out my vent told me this happens frequently with the new dryers - all you have to do is have the vent to the outdoors cleaned out and then the element works fine (at least that was the problem with my new dryer).  By the way, the guy who cleaned the vent specializes in that - he's different from a repair guy.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

Maybe someone here can tell me what the heck I'm doing WRONG!!!! I'm so frustrated & aggravated.

I had a new Maytag 7.0 dryer delivered on Saturday.  (Ps: it wasn't cheap$$$!!).

Its not rocket science: put clothes in turn on "more dry" set temp then push start!

I did a load of perma press: book says put on MEDIUM heat. Set on "more dry".  Nope...after dryer ran 35 minutes - clothes damp! Ok, turn on "high" run dryer again (45 minutes) Now dry.

Next, I did 1 load of towels (4-5 w/hand towels). Put in dryer on "high" as booklet states. Ran 60 minutes....still wet/damp!  Just put dryer on again for another 60 minutes!!! 😤😤😤😤

On Monday I called Maytag no explanation except they can send "repairman" out to see if heating element is off.  I asked why does the dryer have "energy saver" if you need to use high heat to dry anything!

Told me to call Wednesday if I haven't figured it out.  

Any suggestions I'm at my wits end. I want to return to store but then I pay 25% restocking fee....

thank you!

PS: you know when you open your dryer right after the cycle you can feel the warmth or clothes feel warm - this doesn't!

My sister had this SAME problem about 2 weeks ago.  Not a Maytag though.  She would put clothes in the dryer and it would take FOREVER to dry them.  She called her contractor friend to come over and take a look.

The problem was the dryer VENT.  The vent that goes from the dryer to the outside - not the filter that you clean out after every dry.  He said that it was so clogged that it's good she took notice because it could start a house fire over time. 

She called an HVAC company who came in and cleared out the vent and the dryer is working like new.

EDITED TO ADD:  even though your dryer is new, it was connected to your existing vent that may be clogged with lint.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what it is with Maytag, I thought if I bought that brand and spent all that money for it ,I was getting a superior product. NOT! I had nothing, but trouble with my Maytag washer and dryer. I would never again and have not since, spent a lot of money for any appliance. Good luck.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

just wanted to add to my original post.  My dryer vent vents up to my roof🙄So of course, one has to get on the roof to clean.

I had it professionally cleaned when my other dryer was not drying. The man took only a small amount of lint out of the area, in fact, he was surprised not more. 

Therefore, it's not the vent system to my knowledge...operator "error" I guess! Lol🤔

Honored Contributor

@chi5925  Your point was the exact same as mine in my post right above yours.

@homedecor1 Oh, OK but you are welcome anyway for the suggested "fix" since I didn't know you had had it checked already.  @chi5925 and I still took the time to try to help you out.

Honored Contributor

Re: thank you!!!Grrrrrr hate my new Maytag dryer - so frustrated!!!! (Venting sorry🙄)

thank you to everyone for your suggestions & comments!!!!😊

Maytag rep called me today...told me dryer will not dry on medium /energy saver unless light perm-press🙄 Also explained towels or heavy items should be dried on "high/sensor".  He offered to come out and check if I still have problems. Gave me his #.

Went to pool today so decided to wash my beach towels (4) first tried the "high" sensor cycle - not dry (still damp) redryed on timer high.   Then they were dry.

So guess my solution is "high/timer" which I hate to use BUT trial & error I guess.  I didn't do any of this with my old one!

Thank you again posters you're always helpful in my "dilemmas"!  (Sorry for the bold type not sure what I hit)